Why MalwareTips is more popular than Wilders.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I like both Forums. I do believe that Wilders has more professional members. Since I started out at Wilders I'm more partial to them. I do think that some of their policies are a little overkill but necessary at times. I do like that a lot of beta testing goes on.

D

Deleted member 178

I like both Forums. I do believe that Wilders has more professional members. Since I started out at Wilders I'm more partial to them. I do think that some of their policies are a little overkill but necessary at times. I do like that a lot of beta testing goes on.

yes; i think we all go there for it :D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I read some threads in Wilders and it seems like they have more rules. A comparison is not allowed on Wilders, for example, but allowed in MalwareTips. Arguments also spring up more in Wilders, once a thread started by a member asking for help on some software sprang up into a full heated debate about the software and arguing about the law and this and that. The mods had to close the thread. I never saw that kind of thread in MalwareTips.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Except from all these you mentioned, I see that MT is far better organized with sections, subforums etc. It is very important for someone to know where to look for sth specific.
Wilders is kind of a mess :D

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I read some threads in Wilders and it seems like they have more rules. A comparison is not allowed on Wilders, for example, but allowed in MalwareTips. Arguments also spring up more in Wilders, once a thread started by a member asking for help on some software sprang up into a full heated debate about the software and arguing about the law and this and that. The mods had to close the thread. I never saw that kind of thread in MalwareTips.
I think there are more heated arguments there exactly because of this silly control "oh, let's be politically correct". Here people can state their minds, and if one offends the other, then that one says he is sorry. If not, the community itself gangs up to defend injusticed people. I think the great level of control there means more frustrated users who can't speak their mind, and so more heated arguments when they blurt it out. :rolleyes:

I think it's utterly silly to try to say "hey, you can't have political arguments here, this is only for technology". Any subject is subject to politics, and technology is important at that. Questions like "is Chinese/American software spying on you?" are just as important as purely technological questions, and they overlap each other. What we need for control is not silly rules, but rather a sense of purpose and community, and MT has those things, I think.

D

Deleted member 178

we can put a bit of politic because now geostrategy use technology (cyberwar, industrial spying, citizen mass cybercontrol and spying, etc...) , but put in a thread pure political matters like "this president/party is bad because he do blal bla bla " has nothing to do here and will surely be moderated/removed.

Religion has nothing to do here because divine entities don't use computers (unless your "God" comes from Area51or from an other galaxy and travel with giant pyramids spaceships and their eyes are flashing while they speak with cavernous voices :p )

Reactions: XhenEd

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm really glad Wilders is around, but I spend a lot more time here.

Wilders bans posts that compare anti-viruses (but not other products). I'm glad that MT hasn't seen fit to do that. In fact there's even the War Room where such comparison is encouraged!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If we are going to based on Alexa Ratings, MalwareTips has an edge in ranking than Wilders but more opposite way on other terms and features.

Besides on the numerous post as mentioned here about their thoughts. My observation found out that most likely wilders members posting configuration setup are reach to overkill where an AV+Firewall+companion AV + Anti-Executable where none complain the possibility of difficulty on alerts interaction; just simply approved. (Even its a suite, disabling other components and add a separate product)

Here in MT, posting overkill setup can be not a problem at all but acknowledging the proper format unless you're advance users. It can not increase your protection overall rather than resource usage suffers.

D

Deleted member 2913

I like MalwareTips better coz there is freedom here to post quite many types of threads. Wilders dont allow many types of threads like AV v/s AV, better AV & etc...

Most average users when they join any forum, they dont read faqs, search the forum, etc... They simply want to post their queries & get the reply. And here it is more freedom to post/ask about stuffs.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It appears threads at Wilders auto-lock after a period of inactivity. (-1)
I don't think MalwareTips does that, at least from what I can see. (+1)

News threads are moved to the News Archive after approximately 2 weeks +/- 3 days, and locked.
Expired Giveaways or Deal are moved and locked.
Very old threads are locked.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
My problem with Wilders is that the place can be a bit hypocritical, especially when it comes to politically charged security matters. You'll get your post deleted for saying that the only way to change things is for laws themselves to be changed, while the privacy forum continues its a year long and still going threads about Obama and the NSA. Basically it seems the rules only apply to certain people there. If you're a long time member, you can get away with a lot more. And yes, there is a lot of in-fighting there and "I know better than you" junk. It didn't used to be that way and the mods seemed less like overlords and more like fellow members patrolling for trouble.

I too dislike the "No A vs B" policy. I somewhat get the reason as it can start battles. But, that is when you step in and say "Guys, easy, stick to the product.". Reviews from peers is a lot better than looking at the umpteenth PCMag review of the same three top dogs every few months, knowing good and well the magazine is playing the marketing game and doing it for pay.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.