Why MSE don't have self defense???

Do you think MSE Should have selfe defense?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
When I was an MSE user, I was really confused why MSE don't have self defense. Does anyone know why is this?

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I think it has some basic self protection. My understanding to their approach is that once your PC misses something, you're compromised, and so it doesn't really matter what happens after that.

Using a Standard user Account as oppposed to an Admin account will make it more difficult for malware to shut down MSE I believe.

D

Deleted member 178

MSE was designed to be a simple, very light and hopefully efficient AV, that come in complement of Windows Defender, Windows Firewall and the UAC. And we know all that modern sophisticated malwares will almost always kill the AV on the infected system. so i suppose MSE dont think it is an absolutly necessary feature, and dont want make their AV less light by adding self protection.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
To answer the question in the poll, I think MSE should have self protection, as it's just something every AV should have. It's the same as you locking your front door when leave your house, it may not do all that much to stop people breaking in, but it's something you do anyway.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
It does have self defense. To turn off MSE you need UAC privileges don't you? And MSE automatically restarts.

Or maybe I'm wrong haha. Either way, in Windows 8 MSE is built in and will protect itself.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Hungry Man said:
It does have self defense. To turn off MSE you need UAC privileges don't you? And MSE automatically restarts.

Or maybe I'm wrong haha. Either way, in Windows 8 MSE is built in and will protect itself.

If you are using a limited user account then you are safe from having MSE turned off. If you ended the MSE Process (Antimalware Service Executable) it will not restart, it will give you a warning that it is closed and you have to start it. In Windows 8, Windows Defender has a complete protection against viruses, unlike the previous versions of Windows.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Like others have mentioned its near impossible to protect a program once the system is infected, so why waste time/resources.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Link

A detailed information regarding why MSE can be easily terminated. Its like the team were aware that MSE doesn't have the self protection from the first place.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I think that it should have self defense because if any malware gets on the machine then it can not terminate MSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.