Why no one smells a RAT: Trojan uses YAHOO WEBMAIL to pick up instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Cybercrooks commonly run botnet command-and-control networks using servers or (less frequently) a peer-to-peer network, but one gang of scammers has broken the mould by managing a Trojan using Yahoo webmail.

The recently discovered IcoScript Trojan is a classic remote administration tool (RAT), but what makes it highly unusual is its use of a Yahoo Mail account controlled by its authors to receive instructions. Commands are stored as specially crafted emails in the inbox of the account.

Paul Rascagneres, a security researcher from G Data, reckons the malware has gone undetected for two years since 2012. The use of webmail services as a command mechanism offers crooks a number of advantages, according to Rascagneres.

Access to webmail services is rarely blocked in corporate environments and the traffic is very unlikely to be considered suspicious, Rascagneres explains.

And better yet, the modular nature of the malware makes it easy for attackers to switch to another webmail service – such as Gmail, Facebook or LinkedIn – to control the malware. All of these communication techniques are unlikely to be blocked in corporate environments.

Read the full article @ the source mentioned above.

D

Deleted member 178

i like those real hackers , they are smarter than ever :D

Reactions: Myna

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Commands are stored as specially crafted emails in the inbox of the account. ~Never in my wildest dream have I thought that this was even possible. :eek:

Reactions: Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.