Why some PC experts advise others to use Live USB when the system can boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubletap33

Thread author
Jun 11, 2011
I have this weird question because I find some advice really weird.

'Why some PC experts advise others to use Live USB when the system can boot?'

I read in some forums, the persons seeking help in the forums can boot into their system except their system may be infected, system files corrupted, slow responding or Not Responding, crashed or freezing all the time.
That means their system can start up into Windows. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yet, these PC experts advise the user who is experiencing such problems to make a Live USB pendrive using Rufus program or other boot up programs to access the system when the user can use F8 to get into system repair for windows users.

Why make a Live USB pendrive, bootable DVD/CD when the user can use F8 to get into system repair for windows users?

Another question is that backing up all the info on the so called problem system.

If the user can still access the the so called problem system, should not the user back up all theimportant info on the so called problem system before trying to repair the system? Just in case the boot up using the Live USB cause a real unbootable situation.

Thank you for any reply.

D

Deleted member 178

doubletap33 said:
I read in some forums, the persons seeking help in the forums can boot into their system except their system may be infected, system files corrupted, slow responding or Not Responding, crashed or freezing all the time.

yes you right

Yet, these PC experts advise the user who is experiencing such problems to make a Live USB pendrive using Rufus program or other boot up programs to access the system when the user can use F8 to get into system repair for windows users.

Because the OS in the "Live CD/USB" are cached in RAM and not infected/crippled/corrupted, so all procedures can be done without risks/errors.

Why make a Live USB pendrive, bootable DVD/CD when the user can use F8 to get into system repair for windows users?

System repair doesn't works all the time.

Another question is that backing up all the info on the so called problem system.

If the user can still access the the so called problem system, should not the user back up all the important info on the so called problem system before trying to repair the system? Just in case the boot up using the Live USB cause a real unbootable situation.

Same reason as above, safety concerns.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Sometimes Live USB or CD is the only way to fix corrupted Windows OS.
The success rate of repairing all of the issues with Live USB or CD are not good. I simply no longer use this method to make repairs, I only use it to backup user files because I can reinstall Windows.

It is very time consuming using it to make repairs and most of the time Windows has to be reinstall anyway to fix all problems, I can have Windows OS reinstalled updated and ready to go much faster and more easier.

Thanks.:D

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
It is not always possible to repair system or remove malware from windows inside.

I had one case when user was infected with Zero Access virus. We tried everything but it was imposible to remove it from active windows. So we killed it outside Windows :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
All live USB's are made from linux kernel component thus it couldn't corrupt by infection easily and design when sophisticated threats block the boot up process.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
doubletap33 said:

In normal mode, there is also a risk of active rootkits. Rookits can hide the bad files when they get scanned by the scanner. Some rootkits may mask the bad file with a clean copy that has the same name.

In system recovery mode, nothing in the OS is active. Rootkits are sitting ducks waiting to be swept away.

doubletap33

Thread author
Jun 11, 2011
Umbra Polaris said:
doubletap33 said:

yes you right

Because the OS in the "Live CD/USB" are cached in RAM and not infected/crippled/corrupted, so all procedures can be done without risks/errors.

System repair doesn't works all the time.

If the user can still access the the so called problem system, should not the user back up all the important info on the so called problem system before trying to repair the system? Just in case the boot up using the Live USB cause a real unbootable situation.

Same reason as above, safety concerns.

Thank you for the structured bit by bit reply.
So regarding backing up all the important info on the so called problem system, the user should not back up all the important info until the system is fixed? Is that it?

doubletap33

Thread author
Jun 11, 2011
Littlebits said:
Sometimes Live USB or CD is the only way to fix corrupted Windows OS.
The success rate of repairing all of the issues with Live USB or CD are not good. I simply no longer use this method to make repairs, I only use it to backup user files because I can reinstall Windows.

It is very time consuming using it to make repairs and most of the time Windows has to be reinstall anyway to fix all problems, I can have Windows OS reinstalled updated and ready to go much faster and more easier.

Thanks.:D

Thank you for telling me this.

doubletap33

Thread author
Jun 11, 2011
TwinHeadedEagle said:
It is not always possible to repair system or remove malware from windows inside.

I had one case when user was infected with Zero Access virus. We tried everything but it was imposible to remove it from active windows. So we killed it outside Windows :D

Thank you now I know why.

doubletap33

Thread author
Jun 11, 2011
jamescv7 said:
All live USB's are made from linux kernel component thus it couldn't corrupt by infection easily and design when sophisticated threats block the boot up process.

I did not know that all live USB's are made from linux kernel component thus it couldn't corrupt by infection easily.

doubletap33

Thread author
Jun 11, 2011
Fiery said:
doubletap33 said:

In normal mode, there is also a risk of active rootkits. Rookits can hide the bad files when they get scanned by the scanner. Some rootkits may mask the bad file with a clean copy that has the same name.

In system recovery mode, nothing in the OS is active. Rootkits are sitting ducks waiting to be swept away.
Now I know that the purpose of the Live USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.