Advice Request Why some vendors tend to rely on Windows Firewall?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Comodo Firewall is just named wrongly, it should be like Comodo Box or something. Think about many who reads that WF isn't enough, fires up in google firewall replacement, end up on Comodo's page, and download CF, oh boy.. from that point new users better be assure they have another device with internet access to google for help why Comodo disabled internet adapter, PC threw out BSOD, etc.. all Joe wanted was to better secure hes system :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
Because most home vendors fail horribly at implementing secure firewall software.

I seem to find WF isn't enough compared to Comodo Firewall at default settings. I'm just after something that is compatible with the Web Filter I'm currently using.

~LDogg

Does Comodo still not enable ipv6 filtering by default?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm using Windows Firewall as a background aspect program, until I can find a Firewall which has great synergy with Forticlient. Comodo Firewall definitely is not one that works well with it. However I am thinking about looking at TinyWall!

~LDogg

I use TinyWall and love it. No prompts, 3 ways to make rules, learning mode and can be protected with a password. By default, it blocks all except essential processes and what you allow. I know what many say, "it's not developed anymore... blah, blah...), but MS hasn't changed WF at all in years. The only known issue is the out-of-date cert. on TW's site, so you have to download with 3rd party installer here: Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update. Ask anyone who uses it. They love it. I love it. Tried CF and it blocked stuff I wasn't familiar with since I don't understand Windows processes very much at all. Never had a problem with TW. That's why I went back to it after the CF trial.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'm using Windows Firewall as a background aspect program, until I can find a Firewall which has great synergy with Forticlient. Comodo Firewall definitely is not one that works well with it. However I am thinking about looking at TinyWall!

~LDogg
@LDogg & also oldschool, thank you for mentioning Tiny Wall! For those whom wish to have more control over Windows Firewall, after hearing it spoken of many times, here, I'd finally taken a closer look:

TinyWall - A non-intrusive firewall software solution that was designed to provide some extra security and process monitoring capabili...

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/TinyWall.sht

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
No it is not!!!!! WF will never ever alert to things (like malware) that are attempting to connect out. The spam email that you receive are probably coming from Zombied systems relying on WF.
I Strongly Agree!
@cruelsister (I've missed YOU too! :D ) your many detailed videos & instructive guides for users whom wish to become bulletproof using Comodo's Firewall with Auto-Sandbox are surely the Holy Grail to Security for any including all whom many not yet:unsure: know this! :cool:

I highly recommend viewing, reading, and enjoying, cruelsister's vast content here on MalwareTips & beyond!

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Windows Firewall? LOL... Really guys.

5489a25d5b4f3.jpeg

L

Local Host

No it is not!!!!! WF will never ever alert to things (like malware) that are attempting to connect out. The spam email that you receive are probably coming from Zombied systems relying on WF.
Why would WF detect malware? It's a Firewall not an Anti-Malware. Strict WF rules will block as much traffic as any other third-party Firewall.

Then at the same time you say TinyWall is nice, which makes no sense, it uses the WF Platform, it's only a manager at most and won't alert you if malware tries to use outbound connections.

If you want alerts for outbound traffic use WFC or GlassWire, if you want to detect malware trying to use outbound traffic use KIS.

Also, WF has connection logs (allowed and blocked, both inbound and outbound with IP addresses and ports specified).

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Because firewalls are like anti-keyloggers. If you already have the malware on your computer, what it sends in or out isn't your priority anymore. You are already infected. AVs instead focus on preventing malware from running on your computer to begin with. Detecting malware trying to establish a connection and blocking it should be the job of the AV not your firewall. You know... blocking a behavior. A good behavior blocker/HIPS will do what people think a firewall is supposed to do.

D

Deleted member 178

Firewall job is to block unwanted inbound connections, that is it, that was it is original purpose.
Old ITs wanting to block outbound process just had to create rules, as i do actually.

Then some security vendors found interesting to prompt for outbound connections (because they knew their soft will fail somehow), i dont expect WF to do this (however would be nicer if it could).
Then myriads of noobs believed that those functions are mandatory for every FW. No it is not !
Those same noobs believe that the need of an IDS/IPS or the new uber-fancy-skynet feature is necessary , while they poorly setup their system security because of their lack of skills.

Asking for a firewall to protect from malicious outgoing connections is like putting a security guard at your building gate, checking every people going out, hoping to catch the eventual thief...But the thief will go out hiding in the car of a legit occupant (aka using a legit process).
the only case i see to use outbound monitoring is to block some legit programs to call home (blocking built-in ads, updates, telemetry, etc...), for security it is worthless unless the user decide to spend hours/days by going default-deny with programs, ports and IPs.

Windows Firewall does its job decently, you want tighter restrictions, make them yourself with the advanced settings.
Almost all 3rd party firewall installed on Windows uses its platform (WFP), they just add some features to look good.
WF can be turned off by malware, sure, but how you got the malware in the first place...?
What is important is not what goes out but what goes in.

As @DeepWeb said, i dont care if the malware is making outbound connections, it is already too late, if i reach that point i just reformat my system..
Home users don't need high specs firewalls, they need to know how to prevent malware to get in, if they can't get in , there is nothing that get out.
Simple as that.
if i want to seriously protect my traffic, i wont look at 3rd party firewalls, i will directly go buy an endpoint solution plus an hardware firewall/appliance; those are made to really secure a network; compared to them any 3rd party FW in suites looks likes useless toys.

My advice to home users: protect your entry points, select reputable "known-to-be-effective" apps that fill the job, then you won't care of what goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.