Why the Elder Scrolls is my favorite series ever.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
(My avatar is Sheogorath from Oblivion)

In 1992, Arena was released.
A while later, in 1996, Daggerfall was released.
In 2002, Morrowind was released.
In 2006, Oblivion was released.
In 2011, Skyrim was released.
In 2017, Elder Scrolls 6 will be released.

My first Elder Scroll game was Skyrim (as most Elder Scrolls' fans is). I was blown away in 2011 by the amount of lore. I, at that time, wasn't an avid gamer and my favorite series was perhaps inFAMOUS. I was really, really blown away by the fact that it had tons of "side quests". It completely re-wrote the "definition" of "side quest". The "side quests" were longer than the main, yet short in terms of gameplay length, questline. I was even more blown away when I saw Falskaar.

I bought the Legendary edition, even though I already had Dawnguard, Dragonborn and Hearthfire. Just to support Bethesda, even though Bethesda, rightfully, isn't a small company. It's a massive company with around one thousand employees. Even its parent company isn't bigger than itself. In a right manner, Bethesda has achieved its well-deserved attention. While it's popular for the Fallout series, it's recently combined with the creators of Doom series as well. Although it's surely more than just Elder Scrolls and Fallout, I effin love its Elder Scrolls series.

Why?

Skyrim-mods-1-flaming-steed.jpg

6jvZ8dD.jpg

k6Wvz.jpg

f08avd.jpg

9562-1-1234125113.jpg

midas-magic-spell-overhaul-mod-now-skyrim.1280x600.jpg

2237706-epic_mage_duel..jpg

As you can see, Skyrim with mods, is pretty damn perfect.
Well, except the fact it isn't technically.
As like every other Elder Scrolls game.

Unfortunately, if we run too many mods (I've around 108. Recently facing CTDs very often. Irritating. Almost makes me cry.) , we'd get smashed to the face. But there are always solution available There are unofficial patches. The Skyrim unofficial patch fixes bugs. All of them. Well, except the Dawnguard and Dragonborn ones. Because they're fixed by modders inspired by Skyrim's Unofficial patch. I am serious.

Dawnguard's Unofficial Patch and Dragonborn's Unofficial patches are by two different people. But they're compatible (in fact, the download page says "Official and Unofficial patches of Skyrim are required" to download) with each other.

There is BOSS load-order mod. There is Nexus Auto-Mod manager. There is TES5Edit. Although they do lessen the crashing, because of my too many mods, it still crashes. If not, infinite loading screen. But those are indeed, expected with 108 mods. I've uninstalled only two. Because I can live without Real Estate of Skyrim and without my own guild, but not without my own kingdom (Become the High King of Skyrim mod) or my superior, divine magic.

How many games, like Dark Souls, offer you this content of mods. And the amount of epicness?
No other game offers this type of flexibility. Well, except for Bethesda games. That includes Morrowind and Oblivion, with their DLCs like Bloodmoon, Shivering Isles, Knight of the Nine, Dragonborn, Tribunal and Dawnguard.

Let's mix Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim with their respective, multiple DLCs.
Morrowind + DLCs = 600 hours of total gameplay. If you rush. Unless that, there is probably around two thousand hour content. Counting DLC content.
Oblivion + DLCs = 400 hours if you rush. If you do not, there's probably 800-1200 hours content.
Skyrim + DLCs = 3600 hour content if you rush. Not sure how many hours it'd take if you do not.

Note : by "Rush", I mean about "caring only character leveling and doing quests", not about exploration, clearing out areas, replaying with different choices and races, killing elves etc.

Skyrim has 20,000 mods. At least 10,000 of them have 1K+ endorsements (in Nexus) and 40K+ downloads.
Out of that, there are about 500000000000000000 hours added to gameplay. But we can't install 20K mods. So let's be picky about mods.

Faslkaar : Adds a massive new land. About 200-500 hours. Dragonborn size.
Moonpath to Elsewyr : Very large, but not Falskaar. 200-300 hours of gameplay. Dawnguard+ size.
Shadow of Morrowind : Not played nor installed. But is twice the size of Falskaar. I assume it adds 1,000 hours of gameplay. Considering it's 1GB.
Midas Magic : Adds two hundred spells.
Apocalypse Spell pack : Very fun mod. Original content. 180+ spells.
Moon-and-Star : Won't spoil. But its voice acting, is better than vanilla Skyrim voice acting. And vanilla Skyrim voice acting is heavenly.
Into the Depths : Quest mod. About two hours of gameplay. A movie, people joke, will be made on it due to its extremely scary story.

I can't list every mod I've ever had. I've had about 500 mods.

Do you think Fable offers this? Nope.
Fallout? Yeah. But it's from the same developers.
Call of Duty? Are you kidding me? It's about 20 mods on PC version.
Far Cry? It has around 10 mods, for Far Cry 2. Haven't tried Far Cry 3, but a Google search reveals nothing is improved. (102 mods, less than the mods I've for Skyrim)
Dark Souls? 405 mods. Nothing compared to Morrowind's 15K mods. And Skyrim's 20K. And Oblivion's 10K.

That is why, I love the Elder Scrolls. Anybody that doesn't, can go to Oblivion.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
You should play a train simulator game, it has innumerable number of mods :D

By the way you should try Baldur's Gate series. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.