Why you should NOT install ‘Fun & Entertaining’ Facebook applications

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are a couple of things you should know about third party Facebook applications. First off, there is no formal review process for applications or developers on the Facebook platform. Anyone and everyone (scammers included) can create apps. This is far different from the “Walled Garden” approach taken by Apple. Many unsuspecting users might be under the impression that if it’s on Facebook then it must be legitimate. That is totally not the case.

The majority of Facebook applications that virally spread on the platform are questionable at best (virally here means spreading quickly and not that it necessarily contains a virus.) If you click on the info tab of the application and there is nothing known about the developer, then we highly recommend that you do not proceed with the install. For your maximum safety and protection, it is essential that you only install apps from trusted, well known sources.

Once you are on the application page, here is a list of things you should check out before choosing to install the app:

1. Who developed the application? 99% of the apps we are asked to review by our readers have absolutely no information provided on the ‘info’ tab of the app in question.
  2. How many people are using the application and how are the reviews?
    Don’t go by sheer numbers alone. We have seen rogue applications quickly garner thousands of users. Check out the user reviews and wall postings on the application page.
  3. How Intrusive is the application? How much of my personal data is required by the developer?

As you can see, there are a lot of factors to consider before proceeding with the installation of any Facebook app. Always ask yourself – is the personal data you are giving to the developer worth any potential benefit the app may provide? 99% of the time the answer is most likely to be a resounding NO!

Read In-Full at Source

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Never have I installed any applications on Facebook that I don't know. Apart from the trusted like Twitter, Dropbox, and Trend Micro. That is the scariest thing about Facebook people can steal your information that quick by installing a simple application.

Nice read. :)

D

Deleted member 178

this article is now: "what i should do to give my malicious apps the impression of legitimacy?" :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.