Solved Wi Fi doesn't reach upstairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senexx

Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2013
That's basically a thing I was asked recently. It's something I should know.

The asker argues its their 3 wall brick office. What alternatives are there?

How can we assist it to reach upstairs?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You could extend the Wireless range in the dead-zones with a WiFi Booster.

Or use a Powerline HD kit (Ethernet over Power), I currently use the Netgear HDXB101 (although now that model has been discontinued).

Does this help, or not at all?

Upvote 0

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
If they have ethernet upstairs then i would suggest getting a second router and give it the same name(SSID) and encryption password. Then they will appear as the same network to devices and they will connect to whichever is best.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You can use an old router if you have one as a wi-fi booster,this is a bit more involved and for more advanced users but there are some good tutorials on how to do it that anybody can follow.Here is one form lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range+boosting-wi+fi-repeater

Here is a very good youtube video on using an old router as a wi-fi booster

You can also use an old router as a wireless access point which is much simpler. Here is a good tutorial: http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-to-use-an-old-router-to-expand-your-wi-fi-network/

I keep my old routers just for this reason.I have used both of these methods for myself,friends and family.The latter method being much easier and less time consuming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Senexx

Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2013
Earth said:
You could extend the Wireless range in the dead-zones with a WiFi Booster.

Or use a Powerline HD kit (Ethernet over Power), I currently use the Netgear HDXB101 (although now that model has been discontinued).

Does this help, or not at all?

I'll let you know when I know. I was asked this in passing.

Upvote 0

Senexx

Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2013
Because I didn't get back to the guy quick enough, it seems he no longer wants my help.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.