Advice Request WiFi security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
https://www.avira.com/en/avira-home-guard
This is the only network vulnerability scanner I can think of that doesn't require you to install a full-fledged antivirus.

If you use any of Avast's home products, those include a network vulnerability scanner. Same goes for mid-to-upper tier ESET home products (Internet Security and above). There are probably others that exist but I'm not aware of them.

Last edited:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
My shortlist for home WiFi is
  • Whitelist MAC addresses of your devices on the home network.
  • Use a guest network for guests
  • Block printer from connecting to the internet.
  • Disable UPnP/ NAT punching
  • Change default password for admin
  • Change default password for WiFi
  • Disable WPS
Add to that updating your WiFi firmware frequently and get a WiFi device which also acts as a UTM ( while it's still meaningful technology to use anyhow ).

If you do the above, you've cut out most common attack vectors, I'd say no need for a scanner, the UTM functionality should already offer that.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
On my Mikrotik router I put guests and unknown tech on a virtual WIFI network bridged to an isolated VLAN (extra enforcement with firewall rules), I only have necessary management ports open on the main VLAN (no DNS caching on the router to reduce attack surface) and no port open from WAN/guest VLAN. For WIFI security I use WPA2 AES Only, no PMKID and no WPS. I prefer to just block ICMP redirect request opossed to blocking the entire protocol on the input chain, blocking ICMP completely can break things and decrease performance.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.