Wikileaks Assange: 'Facebook open to US intelligence'

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, in an interview with Russia Today, though waiting extradition to Sweden for alleged sexual assault charges, spoke of Facebook as being “the most appalling spy machine that has ever been invented”.

Considering last week’s posts, he may well be onto something.

We already know that the USA PATRIOT Act can be used, without necessarily the need of a court order or search warrant, to access the data held by a U.S. company in a datacenter or on a university campus. However, this can also apply to non-US datacenters and offices which are wholly owned and operated by U.S. organisations.

Arguably, a sceptic may simply pass off Assange’s assertions as the ramblings of a paranoid delusionist. On the other hand, and take my word on this, though I don’t necessarily agree nor can confirm all of his suspicions, there is sufficient evidence to at least support many of his claims.

Read more

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
If you are volunteering your personal information to the public it does not take much of a spy to extract details pertinent to you.

Is not that the whole idea behind Facebook; to get yourself out there???

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ZOU1 said:
If you are volunteering your personal information to the public it does not take much of a spy to extract details pertinent to you.

Is not that the whole idea behind Facebook; to get yourself out there???
A very good point..+1 to that.....
I do have a Facebook account(after my friends and girlfriend pushed me into creating one), and the very first thing I did after I've created it was to tweak my privacy settings.....
As long as you use Facebook just to keep in touch with your friends ..everything should be ok.
The main problem that I see is that "Facebook" is becoming more than a way to connect to your friends ....I do hate those " Like Box" in which your profile image and name are showing after you've clicked "Like" .... ;D
[attachment=197]

Attachments

• save.png
    save.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 429

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Just don't "Like" anything, including Facebook. There was a TV show with a video bit I saw that made a joke of how FB was owned by and used by the CIA to collect information...sometimes there is much truth behind a joke, this I think is just such a case.

Check it out:
http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2011/03/the-onions-take-on-facebook-errrr-the-cia-video.html

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.