Will Avira Really detects 99.99% ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
Avira claims 99.99% in malware detection but most of the samples downloaded from MT is undetected only one or two out of ten are detected is Avira going down the hill ?

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What comfortablynumb15 said.

It's not marketing tactic, but they copy pasted results from independent testing labs.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
yeah there is no way to check if Avira has 99.99% detection rate because there are too much malware out there, it's impossible to run avira against all of them at the same time. Even if this were possible I'm quite sure that the results won't be 99.99% seeing that they only have strong signatures and not a very good 0 day detection module.

S

sinu

Thread author
yeah there is no way to check if Avira has 99.99% detection rate because there are too much malware out there, it's impossible to run avira against all of them at the same time. Even if this were possible I'm quite sure that the results won't be 99.99% seeing that they only have strong signatures and not a very good 0 day detection module.
that's true even though avira says proactive cloud is dedicated for zero day detection but it still lacks in the same

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
that's true even though avira says proactive cloud is dedicated for zero day detection but it still lacks in the same
I suspect their cloud is just to check with their databases because they only push updates every hour or so, and if there is a malware that is in the database but not in the current signatures it has to refer to the cloud to double check it

S

sinu

Thread author
I suspect their cloud is just to check with their databases because they only push updates every hour or so, and if there is a malware that is in the database but not in the current signatures it has to refer to the cloud to double check it
in that case there is no zero day detection in avira

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
According to the whitepaper of Avira Protection Cloud, if a threat was examined to be unsafe then it will remove the threat immediately so it should enforce even the signatures are not yet delivered.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFvGiKHUrfz2uDvQgoZ9-1PQ-CqlA

99.99% I don't think so, other cloud security products manage to miss more samples from the cloud especially if mark as untested.

Reactions: Venustus
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
no you all misunderstand Avira, it detect 99.99% of the malwares they have the signature. :D

more seriously , the ratio is just advertising based on test labs, send it 100 zero-minute crypted FUD, i will score very low as every vendors.

Mostafa Elbadry

Level 2
Verified
Oct 19, 2014
avira becomes very good now ...... it has now cloud protection and cloud heuristic like 360total security but it has some false positives

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
and excacltly this make it to a marketing tactic. A bad one for costumers.

It's called "promoting" not "marketing". When you get high scores in your exams, automatically you write them in your resume to get good jobs :D

This is what we see from that in Avira's homepage. They display the awards, and the scores they've received. And a well deserved one.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Pffff....Panda does better !

Panda Security reached 100% protection rate in AV-Comparatives’ tests

@BoraMurdar : time to tag team bro !

dHANnKZ.gif

Reactions: BoraMurdar
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Panda always Win ! why?

1- Panda : i know KungFu
2- Morpheus: show me
3- Panda: full scan launched
4- Morpheus: damn ! it got me ! you are the one Panda !

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.