Technology Will Firefox rise like phoenix from the ashes in 2024?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
2024 will be an interesting year for web browsers. Google will make changes to its dominating Chrome web browser that may affect part of the browser's userbase negatively. There is the move to Manifest V3 for extensions, which may impact content blockers, privacy extensions and some other extensions negatively. There is also Privacy Sandbox and the end of third-party cookie tracking, which bakes tracking into the browser directly to give Google even more control over user data while making it more difficult for others to keep up.

A main question that comes up is if other browsers will benefit from this, and if they do, which will benefit more than others. There is a chance that most Chrome users simply don't care about all of this. If the sites they visit continue to work and if Google's "privacy" euphemisms worked as well, then Chrome may not lose much, if anything at all user-wise. Chrome users have two core options when it comes to switching browsers. They can select another Chromium-based browser, Brave, Vivaldi, Opera or even Microsoft Edge come to mind. It seems a logical choice. They get the same web compatibility as in Chrome, can continue using all their extensions, and import most of their browsing data as well. It is a seamless process.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
There is a chance that most Chrome users simply don't care about all of this.
Not only a chance, but rather a great probability that most users simply don't care about any of this. I've been a member of this forum for 7 years and my wife could give a rat's ass about privacy on her phone, iPad or anywhere else. I gave up trying persuasion long ago. :rolleyes:👣👣👣

misterman2100

Level 2
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
There's the argument of operability, Why use something that doesn't work and then need to switch to a different browser? Seems devs don't give a flying flip about Firefox, breaking websites and thus frustrating potential users. By the by, I convinced my wife recently to use it on her phone purely for the adblocking capabilities compared to Chrome, although the aforementioned makes it a tough sell for the desktop.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If you are a pessimist, you may see Firefox losing another million or two of its users in 2024. Mozilla CEO and executives getting another raise, and Mozilla continuing to push non-Firefox products and services using Firefox as the driver.
Or a realist.

There's the argument of operability, Why use something that doesn't work and then need to switch to a different browser?
That's what made me drop Firefox as my daily driver. Dishwasher died, went to purchase a new one and the website wouldn't render properly in Firefox, so I was forced to use Edge (which I had not long dropped too, ironically).
I still use Firefox as a secondary browser, to compartmentalize the stuff I want to keep away from prying eyes, but for my primary browser, I want one that lets me browse uninterrupted. Firefox, sadly, doesn't do that.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Personally think Firefox will do just fine. Remember when Internet Explorer was the infallible king of browsers? I never thought it would be up-ended by Firefox and Chrome back in the late 00s the way it did. All it takes is one big misstep and people start migrating. The biggest competitor of Chromium is Safari/WebKit anyway. People spend way more time browsing on their phones than on their desktops now.

Back to Internet Explorer, it took a long time for people coming from IE get used to Chrome/Firefox but they eventually did. Once people get tired of Google's games they will make the move to something better.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Once people get tired of Google's games they will make the move to something better.

Agreed. I got tired of Google's games long ago. I am also tired of MS games too. I switched to Linux Mint on my daily driver laptop full time. FF is my default browser with the Linux version of Chromium as a backup. So far I have had no problems with either one. In Linux FF seems to be updated more often than Chromium. I will keep on using FF until/if/when there is a bad problem with it.

C.H.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I like Firefox a lot though making it default with such integration between Microsoft and Edge used to be harder. You can log into your Microsoft Account in Firefox these days and while it's slightly heavier on my system it's a lot less intrusive. I use Thunderbird so using Firefox along side it makes sense. Sure, there were several subscriber emails for donations this month and I might do a one off at some point, it's still far less than the hassle and ads I would get from Microsoft, case in point the new Windows Outlook replacement for Mail which has ads in it.

Anyway, yes, rising already and never really ever got to ashes :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.