Will Kate and William's Royal Wedding Break The Internet?

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
With as many as 2.5 billion people around the globe tuning into Friday's Royal Wedding—including as many as half a billion watching live Internet streams of the event—tech experts are wondering if the world's digital networks will survive their "greatest-ever trial by fire."

The short answer is, "Probably, but we'll just have to wait and see."
The longer answer is that the bandwidth strain on the Internet backbone posed by hundreds of millions of concurrent live streams of Prince William and Kate Middleton's nuptials is uncharted territory.

As many as 400 million viewers around the world could tune into YouTube's live stream of the wedding alone. Some back-of-the-envelope calculations by Extreme Tech put the total bandwidth requirement of the projected YouTube audience at a staggering 800 million megabits of data transferred per second, assuming a 720p stream, or about 80 million times the transfer rate that's possible through a typical home Internet connection.
More details - link

Will you follow this event? :p

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Break the internet?
Maybe a couple of servers, but not the whole internet.
I might watch it, but if I do, it'll be on the TV.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Really? Probably it will be a lot of traffic from the internet due to that event.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I will not follow this since it dosen't seem to interesting to me...my girlfriend will follow this event step by step...you know : What will Kate's wedding dress look like? and other "fun stuff" like that :p....if I had to watch this, I will most likely choose the TV. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.