Will you be splashing out on a new Smartphone this 2017?

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I still have a second-hand OnePlus One 64GB but I don't have any incentive to buy something else. Thanks to LineageOS, I can still get the latest Android with the latest security updates, without any bloat or unwanted software preinstalled, both of which are of paramount importance to me.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I don't even own a phone. One less attack surface and too much of a pain to use. A computer can to do a majority of my tasks... I can focus solely on one device to keep it as safe as I can. :)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't even own a phone. One less attack surface and too much of a pain to use. A computer can to do a majority of my tasks... I can focus solely on one device to keep it as safe as I can. :)
Some services still use 2FA over SMS, how do you overcome this and still protect your online accounts?

A phone is an on-the-go mini-computer, so instead of lugging around your laptop or desktop-in-a-van. You can use your phone whenever and wherever, it's also a great backup device for emergencies.

Phones are very easy to use, more so than a PC. If you struggle with using a phone, then ...

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Some services still use 2FA over SMS, how do you overcome this and still protect your online accounts?

A phone is an on-the-go mini-computer, so instead of lugging around your laptop or desktop-in-a-van. You can use your phone whenever and wherever, it's also a great backup device for emergencies.

Phones are very easy to use, more so than a PC. If you struggle with using a phone, then ...

Many services I use such as MT have 2FA. Practically I use sites that have the option for 2FA. I never said I struggle using a phone. I just find my laptop to be more comfortable. Although close to a phone my Kindle Tablet is a really helpful option instead of buying a 500$ phone. :)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Currently looking for one (other than Google Pixel) with constant software updates and support, good reliable hardware and battery... Nokia says it will keep their phones updated. Blackberry is dying, so a no go...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.