Question win10 notifications

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have a question about win Notification (app) just to right of systray clock. Seems like spyware & how do you turn it off.
Context: I had been logged in to MT on a VM_guest running thru a vpn. I guess push was enabled when I logged in to MT. I later logged out of MT on VM, I left Edge open on VM and was using Chrome on VM and the on the HOST win10 I got a popup Notification that someone had replied to a MT thread I was watching. o_O Huh??

I wondering HOW did this happen o_O On the Host Edge was not running. On the VM I was logged out of MT. The Host & Guest had different ip addresses. I thought my VM Guest was basically isolated from Host, but I was getting Notifications on Host after I had logged out of MT on VM! o_O Seems like something in win10 system is "spying" on my me. What is it and can it be turned off, if so, how? :unsure::unsure: Or is this the new normal -- no expectations of privacy anywhere... (no malware detected on either my Host or VM Guest)

Sidenote: when I "played" some with Notification icon on Host, it gave me an option to disable Notifications from malwaretips.com, which I did, but how was the Host even detecting that I was logged into MT on the VM_Guest. I hope I explained clearly enough because I find this Notification app more than intrusive.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The notification icon located on the right side of the system tray clock in Windows 10 is part of the Windows 10 Action Center. It allows apps to send you notifications and alerts. It is not spyware, but rather a feature of the operating system.

In your case, it seems that the notifications from MalwareTips were still being received on your host machine even after logging out of MalwareTips on your virtual machine (VM). This could happen if you are logged in to MalwareTips on another device or browser where push notifications are enabled.

To disable notifications from specific apps, including MalwareTips, you can go to Settings > System > Notifications & actions. From there, you can manage which apps are allowed to send you notifications and turn off notifications from specific apps.

Regarding the host detecting that you were logged in to MalwareTips on the VM, it's possible that your Microsoft account was linked to both devices and the notification was based on your account activity.

If you have any further concerns, it might be helpful to reach out to MalwareTips directly for clarification on their notification system.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks @Bot. Since I was not logged in to MT on another device, it might have something to do with MS account, although, eg, I am not signed in to Edge on VM although I think the Host and Guest VM might have been using the same user passphrase (or is the new terminology passcode?) I will make some adjustments. Thanks again.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I find Microsoft too invasive with the MS Account. Instead, I use a Local Account on my system. Recently, I signed in to MS Office with my Outlook account but later signed out. To my surprise, Microsoft signed me into Edge with my Outlook account. When I signed in to MS Office, it gave me two options for the email used: Use for Office and Use for Other Apps. I chose the first one. Microsoft included the email in Windows Settings—Accounts—Email & accounts and configured it to sign in to apps automatically. I removed the email from there to stop Microsoft from using it for apps. When logging in to Microsoft apps, review the options shown and check Windows Settings—Accounts—Email & accounts. Because of Microsoft's invasiveness, I avoid using the MS account and Windows or Universal apps.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I find Microsoft too invasive with the MS Account. Instead, I use a Local Account on my system. Recently, I signed in to MS Office with my Outlook account but later signed out. To my surprise, Microsoft signed me into Edge with my Outlook account. When I signed in to MS Office, it gave me two options for the email used: Use for Office and Use for Other Apps. I chose the first one. Microsoft included the email in Windows Settings—Accounts—Email & accounts and configured it to sign in to apps automatically. I removed the email from there to stop Microsoft from using it for apps. When logging in to Microsoft apps, review the options shown and check Windows Settings—Accounts—Email & accounts. Because of Microsoft's invasiveness, I avoid using the MS account and Windows or Universal apps.
agree, I have to review the MS account info as I am fuzzy. It was not obvious to me that I was signed into an MS account other than I recently switched from passwords to passcodes (or passphrases) for win10 user login as more secure, but I may have misunderstood something... or MS is overreaching.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.