Solved Win32/Vundo

Gunzta

Thread author
Jun 28, 2016
Last night Windows Defender started reporting a Win32/Vundo severe threat. I followed the instructions to clean/remove the file and then Defender says it needs to reboot in order to complete the removal. When I reboot Defender keeps reporting the same problem, asks me to clean/remove file (I've tried both) and reboot to complete the process, except it never successfully completes the process and on reboot continues to report the same problem.

I then followed the instructions on the following page: How to remove Trojan Vundo (Trojan:Win32/Vundo and TR/Drop.Vundo) (I have included extra logs)

Once I had completed the entire process from the above link, I'm seeing no threats reported from any other Malware program detailed in the link above, but Windows Defender is still reporting the same issue as I started with. See images attached.

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    141.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Addition.txt
    40.6 KB · Views: 1
  • AdwCleaner[C1].txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 1
  • TDSSKiller.3.1.0.9_29.06.2016_01.19.23_log.txt
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

Gunzta

Thread author
Jun 28, 2016
Just to confirm. I have been searching for other solutions. I found this recent thread on Microsoft support forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ing-this/12867121-d3cc-490b-9ed3-b41f883181dc

I just wanted to confirm that I have never had McAfee or Norton installed on this PC. The PC is brand new, 3 weeks old. I built myself and installed Windows 10 OEM myself.

My gut feeling is this is some kind of false positive but it would be nice to have confirmation of that from someone more skilled in this area than me. Also if it is a false positive, how do I get rid of the annoying notifications that I'm constantly infected?

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

It does seem like a false positive. I would also recommend you to install third party antivirus and disable Windows Defender. It is not the best protection you can find.

Gunzta

Thread author
Jun 28, 2016
Hello,

It does seem like a false positive. I would also recommend you to install third party antivirus and disable Windows Defender. It is not the best protection you can find.

Thanks for quick reply.

I have ESET Smart Security ready to install but I didn't want to go ahead and install it until you had replied and said it was ok to do so in case I made it worse. So you think I can go ahead and install ESET ? and that will also disable Defender during the install. (This is why I didn't install incase during install there was a gap in any protection between defender and ESET that allowed the problem to get worse)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.