win7 - win10 licensing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Does anyone did a direct upgrade from Win7 to Win10 CU via the ISO?
Does the win7 license was taken care of ? or i still need a normal online upgrade first?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
It worked for me. I used the key on the case of the PC to upgrade during the end days of the free upgrade period. Ended up reverting back to W7, which was better for me, but I can still upgrade on the machines I upgraded and reverted any time as I understand things.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Yep did it myself with one of my old Windows 7 Laptops. Works a lot smoother on 10 then it was on 7 all the years. :p

Reactions: SHvFl

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The ISO version. :)

related question (perhaps) I put win7 as guest in virtualbox using DVD that came with my hardware. MS is asking for me to activate win7 in vbox. if I send the code from DVD will MS accept it as being on the same hardware or bork vbox and the pc??

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
related question (perhaps) I put Windows 7 as guest in virtualbox using DVD that came with my hardware. MS is asking for me to activate Windows 7 in vbox. if I send the code from DVD will MS accept it as being on the same hardware or bork vbox and the pc??

If you use a code that has not been used or has been deactivated off the old computer it should work in a VM. However, if the VM gets deleted the key might be counted as "used up" or something.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Does anyone did a direct upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 CU via the ISO?
Does the Windows 7 license was taken care of ? or i still need a normal online upgrade first?
Yes I did upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Reactions: Venustus

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you use a code that has not been used or has been deactivated off the old computer it should work in a VM. However, if the VM gets deleted the key might be counted as "used up" or something.

ok thanks for your feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.