Not open for further replies.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Finally (I) use and like Windows 8/8.1 much more since some problems were resolved, & shall look more closely into Umbra's tips.:rolleyes: When I miss Windows 7, I turn on my wife's pink Vaio (when Her Majesty, the Queen, is away from her throne):D Now, I am actually typing on lubuntu which was installed beside my XP that has become a happily retired soldier.:cool:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I like everything about Windows 8.1 except for lacking the start menu and lacking Aero effects which was an easy fix with IObit Start Menu and Aero Themes. It has better security features, better Windows Explorer, Task Manager, is faster than Windows 7 and has many free apps in Metro. I can't understand why anyone would downgrade back to Windows 7 when you can have more features and customize Windows 8 to look like Windows 7 if that is what you want.

If you are one of these Windows 8.1 users who keeps having problems with Windows Updates, apps not working, internet connecting problems, performance issues, etc. then ditch all third-party security products and see what Windows 8.1 can do.

Enjoy!! :D

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I actually love Win8, but the default (and forced upon) Metro interface made the way I use the computer much less efficient. Microsoft itself provided the solution by leaving the structure for the traditional Windows interface still coded into explorer.exe (and related dll's). This fact is exploited by StartisBack; it basically unlocks the imprisoned Start Menu/Desktop while still giving the option to boot to Metro instead if the user so desires.

I'm sure that this sort of solution will be what appears this year. Metro for those that want it and a rational desktop for Luddites like me. Maybe then people will appreciate Windows 8 for the marvelous OS that it is.

Last edited:

Shadowclogger

Level 1
Verified
May 31, 2014
Okay. I'm poor.... So, I'm saying that instead of having the latest gadgets and gizmos I'm trusting those who have the cash for these things and the technical wizardry to be able to dope these things out. ***WHY is typing into these forums so darn slow?*** Anyway, I watched as my sister, who is even more outdated than I am, looking in horror at her new laptop that has windows 8.1. And she says to me -- "fix it!" um, yeah. How.... thus I have to call my brother, who, luckily, sort of knows his way around these things, and he says "Oh, well, they're tryin to make everything sort of a touch screen thing -- you know, for simplicity's sake." Yeah. KISS. Keep It simple, Sweetheart. Arrrgh! :( I was SOO lost on that screen, and I'm sort of doping things out, and then she says "What did you do?" I have to say the truth: "I DON'T KNOW!"

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

I must say I disagree with this thread's title, Win 8.x is just awesome, it does even correct some Windows 7's flaws (The ugly Aero Glass, a better default task manager, native support for .iso files)! Overall it's faster, prettier, lighter ^^

Reactions: MalwareT
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hello everyone!

I must say I disagree with this thread's title, Win 8.x is just awesome, it does even correct some Windows 7's flaws (The ugly Aero Glass, a better default task manager, native support for .iso files)! Overall it's faster, prettier, lighter ^^

it was a sarcastic title to mock ignorant people that bashes Win8.x.x so i show my nice win8 desktop

Razerman

Level 1
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I used to hate Windows 8 when it first came out but after I used it for couple of weeks I realized it's actually faster than Windows 7. And with little customizations it's even better than Windows 7. I still have Windows 7 on my other hdd but it's been months since I last fired it up.

Which program do you use to get info on computer on the desktop?

Seems like to be Rainmeter and theme in that picture is called Illustro(There is many versions of that theme).

LastLight

Jun 1, 2014
Windows 8 would have been well received if not for the horror that is Metro, which was cooked up by the infernal cabal of the NSA (Nazi Space Aliens) and the archfiend Steve Ballmer.

Shakes fist at Nazi Space Aliens

They are looking at me through a PRISM!!! Tsk tsk Windows 8!

Reactions: Shadowclogger

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
When Windows 8 was advertized on TV with its Metro look, I totally disliked the looks of it. But months later, since I have a low-end laptop, I decided to try Win 8 because of some reviews regarding its speed. And now, I don't dislike it anymore; been used to the looks of it eventually. In fact, I'm happy because it really is faster than Win 7.

However, if Win 7 is faster, I would go for Win 7 because I still love Win 7's Aero look and feel.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
people tends to believe what tech sites says...if they say they don't like it.....people already makes up mind like ya it is worse product because this blah blah tech site said so....without even trying it by themselves.....I even saw a youtube video long time ago...a lady who says herself IT Department Head couldn't shutdown windows 8 coz there is not start button...how come IT technician doesn't know about simple shortcut ctrl+alt+del :p ...but ya with recent update OS is made more familiar....still problem is people hate to learn new things.....

Shadowclogger

Level 1
Verified
May 31, 2014
:eek::eek::eek::eek: Yeaaaaaaargh! It's Windows 8 -- and it's going to take over! ***RUNAWAY!**** Quick! Hold it off in the Microsoft forums! http://support.microsoft.com/product/windows/windows-8-1

images

Okay. Just wanted to get that out. Everything is cool now. Please return to your original programming. :oops::p:p S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.