Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The major Winamp Player revamp, which has been in works for a while, is finally almost here. The release date for the the new app is two days away from now as it is launching on April 13. The announcement was made by the Winamp team via its official Twitter handle:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Just yesterday, we told you that Winamp was preparing to launch a new audio player, called Winamp. The new version of Winamp is now available and most existing Winamp users may be surprised to learn that it is a web-based application.

Head over to Winamp, create an account, and start using the service on the Web. It is quite the leap from a desktop audio player that has attracted a large fan base thanks to its features and customization options, to a web-based player.

Users may have questions, including how they get their music collection to play in the player, or which features are new or have been removed. Since this new version of Winamp is web-based, it is necessary that users create an account to get started.

The first thing that users may notice after signing-in to their account for the first time is that the new Winamp player does not support integrating a local music library or online library of audio files to an account.

new winamp player

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
No thanks. Being unable to add my own music library defeats everything Winamp is supposed to be and goes against the main reason I used Winamp to begin with. I have not used Winamp in a long time but this new web player makes no sense and would be useless to me. I will stick with Media Monkey in Windows and Strawberry in Linux. I had high hopes for the new Winamp but I guess it was not to be.

C.H.

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
No thanks. Being unable to add my own music library defeats everything Winamp is supposed to be and goes against the main reason I used Winamp to begin with. I have not used Winamp in a long time but this new web player makes no sense and would be useless to me. I will stick with Media Monkey in Windows and Strawberry in Linux. I had high hopes for the new Winamp but I guess it was not to be.

C.H.
Same for me, I'll stick with foobar2000 in Windows.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Winamp 5.9.2 Build 10042​

Winamp 5.9.2
* New: [ml_fanzone] Connect to the online Winamp Fanzone
* New: [ml_hotmix] Connect to the Hotmix Radio service
* Improved: [gen_crasher] Added correct Windows 11 detection method
* Improved: [ml_wire] Replace internal IE engine with Qt v5.12 engine (w.i.p.)
* Fixed: Erroneous "URL: Winamp Command Handler" filetype association
* Fixed: [Big Bento] Drag titlebar issue
* Fixed: [Big Bento] Config overlap issue
* Fixed: [ml_local] Drag to rearrange smart view order causes corruption
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] Memory leaks
* Misc: Added option for RC builds in Update notifications
* Misc: All DLLs are now digitally signed
* Misc: Many more general tweaks, improvements, fixes and optimizations
* Replaced: jnetlib.w5s functions moved to new wac_network.w5s component
* Replaced: dlmgr.w5s functions moved to new wac_downloads.w5s component
* Updated: [jpeg] ijg-libjpeg 9e

Direct Download
Source: Winamp 5.9.2 Released - Winamp & Shoutcast Forums

Zappathustra

Level 2
Jul 1, 2019
I am not a musician, but I care about how to listen to music with very good headphones at home via my PC.
I was wondering if Winamp is appropriate and high-quality software that musicians also use to listen to audio professionally?

Or they prefer Windows Media Player which is build into Windows?
Thanks for your inputs.
Foobar2000 is your best choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: amirr

Zappathustra

Level 2
Jul 1, 2019
For Windows 11, isn't the default new Media Player, okay and enough?

Well, you wrote:
I care about how to listen to music with very good headphones at home via my PC.
I was wondering if Winamp is appropriate and high-quality software that musicians also use to listen to audio professionally?

My reply: the one and only Foobar2000. :)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Winamp for iOS is now available for download via TestFlight. We take a look at what the beta version of the music player looks like.

The app's UI is pleasant, and consists of 4 tabs: Tracks, Albums, Artists and Playlists. Use the tabs to browse your music library, tap on a track to listen, shuffle the order, or use the menu to add it to the playlist. The options are fairly self-explanatory.

Winamp ios app interface

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.