Advice Request Windows 10 19041 - WSL2 with VMware for Malware analysis?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

korbes

Thread author
May 23, 2020
Hello there,

I currently prepare my main PC for the new Windows 10 20H1 build and I'm using WSL1 on my current build (18362). I really can't wait to use WSL2 on the new build, but I read that VMware workstation isn't working well with WSL2. I already made a test-installation on a Laptop and from what I saw it really isn't working well, even the VMware Tech-Preview build and VirtualBox 6.1 refused to work - On a side note: VirtualBox worked somehow, but it was horribly slow to install Windows on it, gave up after the install process was at like 5% after 20 mins.

I don't mind using Hyper-V as a alternative, but I have to say I never used Hyper-V.

So what's the deal, what alternatives do I have? Build 20H1 will roll out soon anyways, so I have to find a way to use WSL2 with either VMware or Virtualbox (or Hyper-V - But I don't know if Hyper-V is suitable enough for Malware analysis).

Thanks for your help!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The problem is that WSL2 uses HyperV, which is a big problem for 3rd party virtualization solutions such as VMware and VirtualBox. I read quickly through a thread about this issue
and it sounds like your experience is what it is. Please update us if you find out any good news, but it sounds like a major compatibility problem. Basically, you cannot have your cake and eat it too, as we say in English. :(

korbes

Thread author
May 23, 2020
Phew, what a read. Seems like I have to stay on WSL 1 (And maybe give cygwin a shot?) in the next build until I'm able to use WSL2 WITH VMware.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.