Troubleshoot Windows 10 Anniversary Update Install Issue

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
The laptop is a Toshiba SATELLITE U920T which came with windows 8 originally. It was upgraded to 10 during the time it was free and hasn't had any issues updating until now.

Most threads about that error leads to an IDT audio driver which isn't on this system I have a realtek audio driver installed. Tried uninstalling it but it doesn't seem to uninstall from device manager. The system has 30+GB free so that shouldn't be the issue.

I suspect the disk space error from the install media is due to what ever is causing the 0x8007001f code to be given during updates.

A fresh install isn't an option as there were programs on here that came from schooling and I wouldn't be able to get them back after fresh install.

I also noticed there are probably about 4 of those recovery partitions from all the previous upgrades not sure if that could be somehow related.

If anyone has an idea about this or anything to try it would be much appreciated.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Have you tried updating the Realtek driver then updating windows ?
Realtek drivers: Realtek
Tell windows update not to DL 3rd party and use the Windows update reset tool
to reset Updates and then try again.
I too have RealTek on my PC and love it, but I have had issues and what I proposed
worked for me, thats all I can suggest. Good Luck.

Reactions: Svoll and frogboy
Upvote 0

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
After updating the Realtek driver and clearing the updates cache and running the updates repair tool still no luck. It redownloaded the Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1607 and was preparing the install got to 41% as usual and gave the 0x8007001f error again.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Try the MS help then ?
You have to admit, they could pinpoint the issue faster.
Are you running any Norton products ?

QUOTE from MS Support Site:
Using many sources I've compiled a list of things to try. One or more of them fixed my issue so if you don't want to waste time, it's a good idea to do them all (in order) - unless you're a scientist, then by all means, go ahead find the exact answer ;-)

1. Uninstall all High Definition Audio Drivers (In Device Manager)
  2. In Windows Update settings, set to never check for updates
  3. Stop and disable the "Windows Update Service" (in Services manager)
  4. Rename C:\$WINDOWS.~BT (Could be ~WS or other) to something else
  5. Restart Computer
  6. Retry Windows 10 Upgrade
  7. Source: windows update error 0x8007001f

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@imsoadude
I would try uninstalling Eset and the audio driver, running the update tool then start again, remember with each fix or solution you try you need to re-run the update repair tool. Good luck brother.
If I remember there was some kind of Windows Update tool posted here too.
Not sure it would help, but it's another glimmer of hope at least.

Reactions: Svoll
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.