Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 Anniversary Update Might Hide Partitions After Install

One of the issues experienced by users after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update concerns partitions, as many of those who upgraded their computers reported that a number of partitions disappeared from File Explorer.

Furthermore, all partitions show up as RAW in Disk Management, which makes most people believe that all their data has been removed and nothing can be recovered.

Microsoft, however, claims that this is just a bug discovered in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update install system, and while no files are lost, it’s critical for users not to try to recover anything with third-party apps because this could lead to completely breaking down the partitions and removal of data.

“Microsoft is aware of this issue and is working on a solution to be released through Windows Update. Any data you have stored on the affected partition is still there. We recommend that you not try to recover or otherwise write data to the affected partition, nor should you format the partition,” the company says.
You can also downgrade in the meantime
Microsoft’s Sharath Srinivasa goes on to explain that a patch will be released to users when it’s available and states that users who do not want to wait for it can always downgrade to their previous Windows version. Partitions should be then just as you created them, with all files once again accessible.

For the moments, there’s still no timing on when exactly the new patch could land, but since the company is already aware of the bug and working on a fix, it should take too long before it gets the green light.

The Anniversary Update is currently available to Windows 10 users free via Windows Update, and the release takes places in stages, so more people could experience the bug as they complete the upgrade. For the moment, Microsoft says that it has received only “a small number of reports” pointing to this bug, so not too many people might be losing their partitions after installing the Anniversary Update

H

hjlbx

This sort of thing will continue on with W10 Home and Pro unless users intensively complain and campaign to have M$ stop it.

Satya does not have users' best interests with forced updates; a broken user system via a forced Windows Update is worthless...

If breakages due to Windows Updates were not such a huge issue, then M$ would not publish Enterprise and Enterprise LTSB.

5 to 10 % of all Home\Pro users experience some form of serious problem with Windows Updates - and that is a HUGE number.

It's an egg in every Home and Pro user's face...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
When did your data partition disappear?
Since I created it after windows installation from diskmanager, but it wasn't showing up even after assigning drive letter manually, but after anniversary updates I just reassigned the drive letter & it's working now.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
There were no other partitions until i did the update!
basically when you install windows, it creates two partitions (or more based on your preferences) however one partition is hidden and contains info about your OS (recovery parameters etc) and the other one is where windows will install its files.

normally it will look like this, please note that i´ve unhidden the partition i mentioned above

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-13_13-17-8.png
    upload_2016-8-13_13-17-8.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 413

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very bad issue.

It seems the cycle of issue goes like this.

Some recent laptops/desktops will not suffer in any of this issue because the hardware/software are already up to date.

Meanwhile majority which are purely old and attempt to upgrade may suffer some minor to major issues.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Very bad issue.

It seems the cycle of issue goes like this.

Some recent laptops/desktops will not suffer in any of this issue because the hardware/software are already up to date.

Meanwhile majority which are purely old and attempt to upgrade may suffer some minor to major issues.
is not a driver nor hardware issue, since some problems may appear even if you do a clean install (in my case it was like that) that being said it is a OS bug!! and considering that there are a lot of people with the same problem as mine with different config and settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.