Microsoft pulls Edge update causing 'Out of Memory' crashes

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Microsoft has pulled the Microsoft Edge 122.0.2365.63 update after users reported receiving "Out of memory" errors when browsing the web or accessing the browser settings.

Microsoft released Edge 122.0.2365.63 yesterday, and soon after, users began reporting across multiple sites that the browser was crashing repeatedly with memory errors.

BleepingComputer was first alerted to the issue yesterday by one of our readers, who said the problem affected Windows 10 and Windows 11 users.

Since then, the bug has been widely reported, with users receiving "This page is having a problem" or "Not enough memory to open this page" errors while browsing the web, with an error code of "Out of Memory."

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I received this update this morning, I'm not sure if it reverted Edge but mine shows Version 122.0.2365.59.
It's weird I am not seeing any issues (I am using Edge since this morning after the update, it's night now). Even though Edge is still on that affected version, maybe I am just lucky 🤔
1709312126541.png

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
In a statement, Microsoft told Windows Latest that the company is aware of an issue that caused Microsoft Edge 122 to crash when running out of memory error on Windows. The fix is rolling out with version 122.0.2365.66, and Microsoft Edge will automatically grab the patch.

“We’re aware of this issue, and a fix is currently rolling out to users with Version 122.0.2365.66. Once the rollout is complete, Edge will automatically update to the latest version after restarting the browser. After restarting, users can also check to see if they have the latest version of Edge at edge://settings/help,” Microsoft told Windows Latest in a statement.

So what went wrong? According to our tests and reports on Reddit, Edge version 122.0.2365.63, which shipped earlier this week, broke the browser with the “Microsoft Edge Error Code: Out of Memory” error. This issue, which can happen anytime, has been particularly linked to compatibility bugs with Enhance Security mode.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
For the last two weeks, I believe, I've been using Vivaldi because I always get an access violation in a page I need for work with Edge. No other Chromium based browsers has this error. I expect it will be fixed eventually. It happens in all my computers.

Captura de tela 2024-03-02 123607.png

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So what went wrong? According to our tests and reports on Reddit, Edge version 122.0.2365.63, which shipped earlier this week, broke the browser with the “Microsoft Edge Error Code: Out of Memory” error. This issue, which can happen anytime, has been particularly linked to compatibility bugs with Enhance Security mode.
I wished I had that version to test it out. I have forced Enhance Security mode via policy and I have pagefile disabled, so I wonder how it would have affected that bug. :unsure:
My setup is already causing a headache to MS devs, like blocked DNS causing 5 secs delay, 3rd party MSA email being unable to use Oath in Outlook, synced cards not synced.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.