Windows 10 Anniversary Update Smashes Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
""You should [seriously] consider dodging the update until Microsoft irons out the worst difficulties."

"Anniversary Update installs trigger a wide variety of failures, rollbacks, flakey Universal Windows programs, and error codes such as 0x80070020."

"There are very credible reports that the Anniversary Update is making entire volumes/drives invisible, prompting a reformat. The newest version of Win10 refuses to see some drives, identifying them as RAW, and prompting for an NTFS reformat."

"I’ve seen a report on AskWoody.com that the Anniversary Update makes the entire Group Policy setting for Configure Automatic Updates useless."

"There are more credible reports about Win10 locking up completely after the Anniversary Update."

"It looks like System Restore gets turned off when you install the Anniversary Update."

"Adding insult to ignominy, the Anniversary Update is changing all sorts of settings."

Who is to blame for all of this... ?

Sataya.jpg

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
Its bad for Microsoft because the Windows 10 Anniversary update itself is good I´ve been using since it came out. It is stable no problems at all, actually I think its a good upgrade to windows 10 but Microsoft should invest on how to find a different method of upgrading machines because it is basically writing itself over another OS and importing data from there.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
So far the anniversary update has been nothing less than a pain in my rear end. Black screens, spinning windows loading circles that never end and so on. I have rarely spent whole days trying to install a simple windows update. I legitimately don't know what to think at this point. I've tried every trick in the book and yet nothing works. Updating from Windows update directly: doesn't work. Windows Media tool: doesn't work either. I'm tempted to stop everything and wait till Microsoft can get their stuff sorted out properly. Anyways, I'll keep making periodic updates regarding my particular situation as time goes on.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
^ kind of worst case.... people who really need a running/perfect system every day (and that are also average people,
not only businness users) should really wait some weeks/months for a stable OS.. or immediately go back to old system....
I already decided some weeks ago not to upgrade: IMO too many issues with W10 were reported on the internet....

Last edited:

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Zero problems at my end. I used MCT for the AU (no clean install), and it worked like a charm. Always delete the junk afterwards using the Disk Cleanup app.

EDIT: And I also shutdown my AV during the install process. That could cause serious conflicts.
Does this mean that people should also disable windows defender?

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Every update from MS the same old posts of horror stories pop up, because the millions who had no issues aren't posting how their update went. The squeeky wheel always gets the most grease as they say. I have put the update on 5 pc's now without a single issue and would say all the sysetms are faster and running smoother than before the update, just my experience.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Window 7/8.1 is much more stable than windwos 10.

This is all because of fast rollout of this update. Last month every few days they were doing some changes. Actually they should have completed this build one or two month ago. Then release it to slow and fast ring so that it gets tested for two months before being released to the public.

I am not facing any major issue.
But the backup partition that i created does not boot up. Screen keeps blinking rapidly during boot.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
With the insider program these releases are tested beyond anything that previous releases were, and tested in the real world with real people on their equipment at home. I certainly know there will be issues with some systems, but they could test it for 2 years and this would still occur,

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I guess that these kind of issues will always affect an unfortunate minority of users..:(
All we can do is to empathise with those that these problems do affect,and to try to help as much as possible.
As @juhful correctly points out,the majority that did not experience problems will not get as much publicity...
..and IMO that is a good thing,because for somebody that is struggling...having to wade "Knee deep" through comments by those saying that everything went perfect for them not only provides zero help or comfort but can also needlessly add to the frustration.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I'm holding out on that one, since only been on 10 for a week, have no complaints as of yet, except that it killed my CCleaner, but I haven't had a single crash on a certain site I visit regularly (used to crash all the time there) and that's a bonus:cool:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it;) so I'm gonna sit on this for a while til it all gets ironed out:p

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I never had any issues with Windows Update or Upgrade since Win8. Why?

Because i care of my system health; i dont stockpile drivers, fancy customization tools and softwares, i prioritize portable apps and put them on another partition, so i can keep a "like just installed" system then the chances of getting issues during updates/upgrades are minimal.

Most issues reported come from crippled and not properly maintained systems with tons of leftovers drivers and files, corrupted HDD clusters, etc...

i dont even mention some people letting their HIPS activated during the upgrades...

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I'm holding out on that one, since only been on 10 for a week, have no complaints as of yet, except that it killed my CCleaner, but I haven't had a single crash on a certain site I visit regularly (used to crash all the time there) and that's a bonus:cool:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it;) so I'm gonna sit on this for a while til it all gets ironed out:p

It didn't kill my CCleaner. I did a great job then. ;)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I never had any issues with Windows Update or Upgrade since Win8. Why?

Because i care of my system health; i dont stockpile drivers, fancy customization tools and softwares, i prioritize portable apps and put them on another partition, so i can keep a "like just installed" system then the chances of getting issues during updates/upgrades are minimal.

Most issues reported come from crippled and not properly maintained systems with tons of leftovers drivers and files, corrupted HDD clusters, etc...

i dont even mention some people letting their HIPS activated during the upgrades...

Starting an Umbra Religion right now. 2016, and a lot of people still don't believe that, they believe everything is Microsoft and Windows' fault, yet they treat their system like crap. An OS is like a car, if you don't take care of it, of course you'll encounter issues.

Never had a single issue with Windows or Windows Updates since Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.