Windows 10 Anniversary Update Smashes Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
With all the problems Microsoft has had with Windows 10 updates there is no way to rationalize, justify or minimize the problems created for users.

There are users who need their systems for work\employment who cannot afford nor tolerate problems or a smashed system because of an update.

Saying I experienced no problems on my specific system is sort of an egg in the user's face that has their complete system smashed - and they have to completely clean install the OS to get the system to work again. Not to mention that users have terrible back-up habits and this all results in lost data, plus most users - including Enterprise users do not maintain their systems to a fastidious level of advanced users here. In fact, Microsoft's official position is that such system maintenance is not necessary to prevent Windows update problems.

This is why Enterprises absolutely refuse to upgrade to Windows 10.

It appears that Microsoft's position is that if you are a home user or small business owner that uses Windows 10 Home or Pro - well then - use Windows 10 at your own peril; an update might boink your system completely. So if you want control over updates, then fork over $1000 for the five seat minimum and upgrade to Enterprise.

What's more important to Microsoft is that the W10 Home\Pro user talk to their computer - with W10's flaky entertainment value options and apps - than providing a means to the user to ensure a stable, working system.

That being said, the only real option for consumer and small business owners on W10 Home is to disable Windows Update service - to ensure their system will remain operational.

Bad deal - since doing this - they forego any security updates. But given the choice, and they need a system that works, well they'll just have to run with a less secure system.

Last edited by a moderator:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
With all the problems Microsoft has had with Windows 10 updates there is no way to rationalize, justify or minimize the problems created for users.

There are users who need their systems for work\employment who cannot afford nor tolerate problems or a smashed system because of an update.

Saying I experienced no problems on my specific system is sort of an egg in the user's face that has their complete system smashed - and they have to completely clean install the OS to get the system to work again. Not to mention that users have terrible back-up habits and this all results in lost data.

This is why Enterprises absolutely refuse to upgrade to Windows 10.

It appears that Microsoft's position is that if you are a home user or small business owner that uses Windows 10 Home or Pro - well then - use Windows 10 at your own peril; an update might boink your system completely. So if you want control over updates, then fork over $1000 for the five seat minimum and upgrade to Enterprise.

What's more important to Microsoft is that user talk to their computer - with W10's flaky entertainment value options and apps - than providing a means to the user to ensure a stable, working system.

That being said, the only real option for consumer and small business owners on W10 Home is to disable Windows Update service - to ensure their system will remain operational.

Bad deal - since doing this - they forego any security updates. But given the choice, and they need a system that works, well they'll just have to run with a less secure system.
So you are saying we should be using this then. :confused:
Windows1.0.png

H

hjlbx

Thread author
It was meant to be. Lol. :D

What I am suggesting that Microsoft's implied official position is W10 Home\Pro = entertainment-only-use-at-your-own-risk; work and business use is not supported.

If you rely upon W10 Home\Pro for work or a small business, then you're basically screwed...

The whole concept of forced updates, forced settings changes, forced reinstallation of user-removed Windows modules\apps, etc is a terrible one - without any consideration whatsoever to those users who rely upon their systems to earn a living. And you'd be surprised how many users employ the home versions of Windows for work and small business purposes.

Like I said, fork over $1000 for Enterprise version plus enter into an Enterprise support agreement (another $1000) if you want the ability to control and ensure a stable system...

It appears to me this "model" is a deliberate move on Microsoft's part as a way to extract more money out of users who use their Windows for work\business purposes.

It is plainly obvious that Microsoft wants small business owners not to use W10 Home\Pro, but instead fork over the money for Enterprise and a support agreement.

Think about it...

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I upgraded 5 pc's and one being an 8 year old hp laptop and all went perfect, I'm glad MS likes me, or I'm just lucky, ya know with all the systems they smashed with this update:p

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Starting an Umbra Religion right now. 2016, and a lot of people still don't believe that, they believe everything is Microsoft and Windows' fault, yet they treat their system like crap. An OS is like a car, if you don't take care of it, of course you'll encounter issues.

Never had a single issue with Windows or Windows Updates since Windows 7.
I don't quote you much Aura , in fact I think this is the first time:p
but your right, constantly installing and uninstalling multiple software, hard shutdowns, agressive registry cleaners, registry defraggers, I can keep going for hours on the list,
but the point is PC's are a fine tuned machine and if you dont know how to properly care for them you will often get unwanted results from the simplest tasks.
Caring for them includes things like External: keeping them dust and vibration free, out of humid areas (humidity kills PC over time) monitoring the core, vid card, and other temps for issues, as well as hardware updates
as well as software. Take good care of your PC and it will take care of you when you need it most.
Awesome post Umbra ;)

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I don't quote you much Aura , in fact I think this is the first time:p
but your right, constantly installing and uninstalling multiple software, hard shutdowns, agressive registry cleaners, registry defraggers, I can keep going for hours on the list,
but the point is PC's are a fine tuned machine and if you dont know how to properly care for them you will often get unwanted results from the simplest tasks.
Caring for them includes things like External: keeping them dust and vibration free, out of humid areas (humidity kills PC over time) monitoring the core, vid card, and other temps for issues, as well as hardware updates
as well as software. Take good care of your PC and it will take care of you when you need it most.
Awesome post Umbra ;)

Enterprises do not generally perform extensive system cleanup and maintenance - as it isn't generally required. Hell, if it was required, then Enterprise IT budgets would have to double if not triple in size.

If Windows Updates and Upgrades did not represent any kind of problem to anyone - even with good system maintenance, then Microsoft would not offer any other Windows branches - like Enterprise and Enterprise LTSB.

The reason Microsoft does offer alternate OS branches is because there is a long-standing history of Windows Updates & Upgrades breaking systems.

On 8.1 and before, the home user had the option to hide & uninstall an update - any update. Now Microsoft tells Home & Pro users you have no choice. You're gonna accept any that causes problems and like it - even if it smashes your system completely due to OEM driver, firmware, 3rd-party softs or any other problem. What we're telling you is that it isn't our problem and if your system is boinked - oh well...

I can't understand why home users do not realize that they are being used as guinea pigs. All the stability testing is being done on home systems, problems identified and then used to avoid errors on Enterprise. Enterprise LTSB gets their updates up to 18 months later - after you, the home user, sacrifice your system to identify major problems with forced updates and Microsoft collects the error reporting and telemetry.

Don't users realize this is the new model ?

And believe me when I tell you the failure or problem rate of Windows Updates & Upgrades is somewhere in the range of 5 to 10 % of all users. That's a really big number when you consider that the total number of actively used Windows systems is somewhere in the many hundreds of millions...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Satya is the worst thing to happen to Microsoft in a very long time.

He wouldn't dare tell an Enterprise - "You need a kick in the ass so we're gonna force W10 on you" - but he has openly stated as much to home and small business users. Don't believe it ? Search for it on-line...

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I never had any issues with Windows Update or Upgrade since Win8. Why?

Because i care of my system health; i dont stockpile drivers, fancy customization tools and softwares, i prioritize portable apps and put them on another partition, so i can keep a "like just installed" system then the chances of getting issues during updates/upgrades are minimal.

Most issues reported come from crippled and not properly maintained systems with tons of leftovers drivers and files, corrupted HDD clusters, etc...

i dont even mention some people letting their HIPS activated during the upgrades...

Hi @Umbra , just curious on the system health issue. Mind to share on how to properly maintain it? I do have problems with that especially leftover drivers and files. SOme of them even unable to be deleted.

Btw, my window update stop at certain level. Any further will get failed update. SO Im forever stucked at particular build.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@CMLew

- Clean install every 2 months, update the system then immediately do a backup (or use a rollback softs), so if you have an issue you can revert quickly to a clean baseline.
- Avoid stockpiling softwares on the system, better use portable version (f available) located on another partition.
- Wisely select your security apps (after testing them on VM rather than on your system); most of them install drivers and hooks that reduce the stability of the system.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No issues on my system after the update, I saw that my system restore is off which I've activated without any side effects.

Honestly I'm not going to the side of Microsoft but of course they exert all of efforts but sometimes decision making are seems poor.

The issues occur could not reproduce immediate solutions. For users side, always clean your stuff and make a backup as possible.

When planning to upgrade, then steer away for third party AV. Once complete then install it back.

With that steps, you are 90% safe for issues; except on hardware issues that may show in such unpredictable way.

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Satya is the worst thing to happen to Microsoft in a very long time.

He wouldn't dare tell an Enterprise - "You need a kick in the ass so we're gonna force W10 on you" - but he has openly stated as much to home and small business users. Don't believe it ? Search for it on-line...

Then, shall we replace him with hjlbx? :D

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.