Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Hello guys! So I was just wondering how Bitlocker works because I was planning to activate it for my laptop, I've read a few resources online but none of them really state what to do if you have multiple partitions on the same drive?

Eg Lenovo has their drives set up so that there is a C and D drive, where the C drive is where the operating system is and the D drive are where all the drivers are, so I'm not sure if something is going to mess up if I encrypt both C and D drive and during boot only one of them decrypts leading to a system that is missing drives or unable to boot properly.

If someone has experience activating Bitlocker when your system has multiple partitions I would love to hear from you guys!

Reactions: Jack and giulia

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
I have dell laptop newly purchased. I am getting Bitlocker encryption on but bitlocker is unlocked. What does that mean.

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
Hello guys! So I was just wondering how Bitlocker works because I was planning to activate it for my laptop, I've read a few resources online but none of them really state what to do if you have multiple partitions on the same drive?

Eg Lenovo has their drives set up so that there is a C and D drive, where the C drive is where the operating system is and the D drive are where all the drivers are, so I'm not sure if something is going to mess up if I encrypt both C and D drive and during boot only one of them decrypts leading to a system that is missing drives or unable to boot properly.

If someone has experience activating Bitlocker when your system has multiple partitions I would love to hear from you guys!
hi
i have used on windows 10 pro without any problems with other partitions ,and i was able to create and restore images with image for windows (terabytes) and macrium reflect pro v7
i have encrypted only the windows 10 partition

but i would use another program ,like veracypt it's updated , more powerfull and more reliable , but it's always better create a full disk image ,i trust only of image for windows/linux (based on linux is amazing fast) and after macrium

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
BitLocker is hardware-based encryption system by MS unlike VeraCrypt which is free software-based. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Have both so that one can complement another

Last edited:

Justin Shaw

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know, when the C drive, where the operating system is, is encrypted with BitLocker, you will be asked to unlock the C drive during the boot of the computer. As for the D drive, you can unlock it after you log in to Windows 10.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.