Troubleshoot Windows 10 black screen with mouse

gingerhat

Thread author
Aug 8, 2015
I successfully recovered from the Windows 10 boot to black screen with mouse icon after rebooting into Safe Mode with networking. But the cause is weird.

I had BD AV installed. I wanted to use Comodo Firewall. After installing CF, the Settings dialog would not launch (was changing icon displays for sys tray). Finally, after a few BSODs, I rebooted in Safe Mode with n/wing and removed BD.

Has anyone else seen this? Theories range from Windows 10 gets confused about display drivers and reverts back to Windows default display drivers. But I actually tested this twice and reinstalled BD with Comodo Firewall, and the black screen boot reoccurred. I think that CFW may have some conflicting elements that are blocking some BD AV processes, but what?

Curiously yours,

GH

Looking forward to what people's experiences are. Meanwhile, I'm building an Arch Linux system :p

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SkyJP

I get this for around 20 secs after the original windows 8 style boot animation but then it boots normally thereafter (just a long delay that started in the first boot after a clean install).

These problems have happened on w7 and w8 too so this is no surprise but the often problem trails back to the graphics driver. Upcoming driver updates for w10 should fix the problem.

Hopefully.

Upvote 0

gingerhat

Thread author
Aug 8, 2015
Aha. Yes I've seen some mentions of Win10 getting confused about other display drivers and reverting back. But I'm trying to figure out how this could be caused by a BD AV install with an existing Comodo FW.

I get this for around 20 secs after the original windows 8 style boot animation but then it boots normally thereafter (just a long delay that started in the first boot after a clean install).

These problems have happened on w7 and w8 too so this is no surprise but the often problem trails back to the graphics driver. Upcoming driver updates for w10 should fix the problem.

Hopefully.

Aha. Yes I've seen some mentions of Win10 getting confused about other display drivers and reverting back. But I'm trying to figure out how this could be caused by a BD AV install with an existing Comodo FW. Doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Clean Win 10 64 install here.

I too sometimes face black screen with mouse during boot for few secs then normal & sometimes no few secs black screen but black screen flickers 2 times & logon screen is there & normal.

Windows Defender & Windows FW here.

Microsoft display driver here. Windows Updates updated the display driver on the very first Windows Updates on the system.

I read that black screen with mouse during boot is Win 10 prob. Hope it gets fixed with updates soon.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I didn't experience black screen but rather than 2 seconds of loading screen always and shows quickly the login.

OEM based should not have any problem as per priority for the support and its recognition.

Those custom build should really take a research if its totally capable.

Upvote 0

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Well I didn't experience black screen but rather than 2 seconds of loading screen always and shows quickly the login.

OEM based should not have any problem as per priority for the support and its recognition.

Those custom build should really take a research if its totally capable.
I have an OEM HP laptop, and I experience this. Even after upgrade and after "reset", the black screen before login is present. So, I think that this is a Windows 10 problem.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

I have an OEM HP laptop, and I experience this. Even after upgrade and after "reset", the black screen before login is present. So, I think that this is a Windows 10 problem.
Mine too is HP Pavilion OEM Laptop & have the prob.

Reactions: XhenEd
Upvote 0

vishwa

Level 1
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
I have also similar problem. Thats why I am moving back to my windows 7 works great for me. We have wait little bit more to get windows 10 stable and bug free.

Upvote 0

gingerhat

Thread author
Aug 8, 2015
vishwa
I have also similar problem. Thats why I am moving back to my windows 7 works great for me. We have wait little bit more to get windows 10 stable and bug free.

vishwa,
That isn't necessary. See previous replies for a solution to the "boot your black screen with mouse cursor" bug. Judging from the replies to my original post, it really seems to be a display driver update that has (automatically pushed via Win10 Windows Updates). Looks like the MS driver then becomes the default driver and then causes the black screen issue.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.