Battle Windows 10: Dark vs Light (Poll)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
By default, the Settings UI is set to a Lighter shade of grey, but using a 3rd party tool or editing the Windows Registry yourself, the Settings UI can be set to to Darker shade of grey.

Light vs Dark UI (ie. Settings)
  • Graphical User Interface;
    • what's your preferred style and a reason as to why?
  • Ease of Use;
    • what's easier to view in day and low-light conditions?
    • which is better to navigate around?
    • does any coloured fonts clash between the themes?
Microsoft Edge Theme
- In Windows 10, users can switch between a Light and Dark UI without needing to edit the registry. You can mention if you use Dark with Dark, Light with Dark and or vice versa. Other browsers, do you use a dark theme or default (lighter) theme?

Added a Poll for those wanting to Vote only. :cool:

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I prefer dark themes across the board, including MT's dark theme. I just seem to see everything better in all kinds of light. I am colorblind and not sure if it has anything to do with this, colored texts to me can get lost on a light backround, while on a dark backround the contrast is just better for me.

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
my vote:
upload_2016-6-9_21-13-55.png

upload_2016-6-9_21-15-21.png

(I don't use edge as main)

D

Deleted member 2913

I use default Light.

Dark themes sometimes feel like eye hurting. And some things are better visible with Light theme. Like for example if you take Light & Dark themes of MalwareTips, on Light theme the difference between already read & new threads are lot more clear/visible compared to Dark theme.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@jamescv7
Its bee an option in Win10 Pro x64 for a long time now :)
Do some Googling I set it so long ago I forgot how, but
it's there.
Edit::
Found it too easy: How to Enable Windows 10’s Hidden Dark Theme
Using this method does not "add it" it's there, MS has yet to add a
toggle for it. I have it on good authority that MS will add a toggle for it
with the "Anniversary" update this summer.
PeAcE

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As the thread implies, the theme is there, its just hidden so all that is being added is the ability to turn whats there "on",
for now this is the method to trigger it on.
This is the known method till MS gets off it's butt and adds the toggle this summer :)
I understand that James most likely will wait till the Anniversary update to turn it on
The link is there for him or anyone else that does not want to wait.
PeAcE

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

howtogeek mention

• Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize, create a DWORD value named “AppsUseLightTheme” with the value of “0”.
  • Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize, create a DWORD value named “AppsUseLightTheme” with a value of “0”.
I checked regedit, dont have "Personalize" in HKLM.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
howtogeek mention

• Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize, create a DWORD value named “AppsUseLightTheme” with the value of “0”.
  • Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize, create a DWORD value named “AppsUseLightTheme” with a value of “0”.
I checked regedit, dont have "Personalize" in HKLM.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Code:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize
Explained: Enable the dark theme for Settings and Modern apps in Windows 10

Download Winaero Tweaker to enhance Windows 10 - winaero tweaker | malwaretips.com

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
IMO, for most laptops,desktops and tablets light theme works better or best because all of them utilize IPS LCD tech. If anyone uses AMOLED screens on PC,laptops or tablets then dark theme is best since it can alleviate screen burn-in's.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Again, from my own experience I have found that its best to keep the screen's brightness at the same level with your ambient light. Some times I need to stare at the monitor for long time (being a graphic designer) and keeping the brightness at the same level seems to hurt the eyes less. And yes a bright screen also hurts a lot, the images may look better but its bad for your eyes. But then, just like different PCs need different kind of settings to work properly, different human beings also need different settings.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Again, from my own experience I have found that its best to keep the screen's brightness at the same level with your ambient light. Some times I need to stare at the monitor for long time (being a graphic designer) and keeping the brightness at the same level seems to hurt the eyes less. And yes a bright screen also hurts a lot, the images may look better but its bad for your eyes. But then, just like different PCs need different kind of settings to work properly, different human beings also need different settings.
Of course, color gamut, RGB/NTSC color coverage plays vital roles too in image quality and clarity, right?

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.