AV-TEST Windows 10: December 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I don't like AV TEST testing results input. The way they show protection rates is so messy.

You have two products:
  • Kaspersky
  • Avast
You clearly have a top class suite vs a decent suite than if well configured can perform "well".

I see that one has a score of 6/6, and the other one has a score of 5.5/6 and I myself, an average Joe, will believe they're both as good. And they have an universe in between.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
Why do eye-opening posts in Reddit get closed down?

Because big companies have resources for legal measures, small companies do not.

There's a certain very well-known product (not Avast), for example, which is widely discussed in security forums (including MalwareTips), has a good number of customers and links to certain shady activities by certain individuals in top/high positions. It's not the first time, and it would not be the last.

Reactions: RKRN3

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020

They are participating - which is completely valid as long as they pay the test fee. That is not the same as "endorsing." Just because those companies participate has nothing to do with the AV labs scamming anyone.

VBulletin and AV-Test are not scam labs. They perform a certain set of tests, with a certain methodology, for a fee. It's paid testing.

Lots of things being said about AV test labs, lots of it baseless and ridiculous. Everyone runs their mouth on forums, yet no one steps forward and disproves the test methodology... which, I might add, is an exercise in futility. The labs don't always get it right. However, it takes someone with experience such as Fabian Wosar to point the issues out.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
They are participating - which is completely valid as long as they pay the test fee. That is not the same as "endorsing." Just because those companies participate has nothing to do with the AV labs scamming anyone.

VBulletin and AV-Test are not scam labs. They perform a certain set of tests, with a certain methodology, for a fee. It's paid testing.

Lots of things being said about AV test labs, lots of it baseless and ridiculous. Everyone runs their mouth on forums, yet no one steps forward and disproves the test methodology... which, I might add, is an exercise in futility. The labs don't always get it right. However, it takes someone with experience such as Fabian Wosar to point the issues out.
But it makes no sense, heres these newcomers and those over at vb and av-test doesnt do a background check first? av-test "tested" all of their 3 scam products, totalav, pcprotect and scanguard, all of which have the same user interface, didnt that raise a red flag for av test? and I never mentioned those test sites scamming you, its protected.nets products that are, they have long been known for charging money for their products even after customers have cancelled their subscription.

Last edited:

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
But it makes no sense, heres these newcomers and those over at vb and av-test doesnt do a background check first? av-test "tested" all of their 3 scam products, totalav, pcprotect and scanguard, all of which have the same user interface, didnt that raise a red flag for av test? and I never mentioned those test sites scamming you, its protected.nets products that are, they have long been known for charging money for their products even after customers have cancelled their subscription.

There are minimum requirements for a vendor to be eligible for a test, but there is no background check. It is not an AV lab's job to tell whether or not a software or the publisher is a scammer.

The mission of AV labs is not consumer protection. That is the mission of governmental agencies.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
There are minimum requirements, but there is no background check. It is not an AV lab's job to tell whether or not a software or the publisher is a scammer.
I guess youre right, but it will always make me angry knowing these guys can get away with this kind of stuff.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
I guess youre right, but it will always make me angry knowing these guys can get away with this kind of stuff.
When AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, etc. was new, they had a principle that what is not a bonafide security company shall not be allowed to be tested.

Nowadays, these testing labs are themselves corporations and need to fees/money to survive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.