Troubleshoot Windows 10 Disk drive issues

trizzyr

Thread author
Dec 9, 2016
Hello,

The passed 3 months I've had issues with my C Hard drive, i have followed all different steps in order to fix the 100% disk use issues, from supercatch to changing system values, and none seem to work.

I am unsure what is causing the issues, it did used to be a windows 7 which got upgraded to windows 10. It is also a custom built PC now, as the hard drive used to be part of a prebuilt computer from before. If anybody has any other advice on how to resolve this issue i would very much appreciate it.

Thank you.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hi I got the same problem with 1 of my laptops
I have tried 19 different solutions but none of them worked

the only solution I haven't tried yet is completely erase the drive and partition everything from the beginning using windows 8, 8.1 or windows 10 setup
the problem may happen due to the tool we use to partition the HDD, not from microsoft or it is from windows 7 or XP, properly

The second working solution is to upgrade to an SSD but this is quite ridiculous

Upvote 0

trizzyr

Thread author
Dec 9, 2016
hi I got the same problem with 1 of my laptops
I have tried 19 different solutions but none of them worked

the only solution I haven't tried yet is completely erase the drive and partition everything from the beginning using windows 8, 8.1 or windows 10 setup
the problem may happen due to the tool we use to partition the HDD, not from microsoft or it is from windows 7 or XP, properly

The second working solution is to upgrade to an SSD but this is quite ridiculous

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried to reinstall windows again from scratch but i get the same issue, i have tried it with different boot tools and other versions of windows 10. I cant seem to figure out this issue. I did get an SSD aswell for this very issue as everyone suggested it... But it had the exact same issue so im not sure what to do from here.

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried to reinstall windows again from scratch but i get the same issue, i have tried it with different boot tools and other versions of windows 10. I cant seem to figure out this issue. I did get an SSD aswell for this very issue as everyone suggested it... But it had the exact same issue so im not sure what to do from here.
iff you are using an SSD, did you try this?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083595

edit:
also try this but don;t enable indexing service
https://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/32190-disk-usage-100-100-a.html#post284344

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
These types of issues mostly occur by a common combination of Skype and Google Chrome. To fix this issue do the following:

Google Chrome:

In Google Chrome, go to Settings > Show Advanced Settings ... > Privacy > Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly

and untick it. See Figure-1 below:

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

Make sure you have exited Skype and it is not running in the taskbar (if it is running in the taskbar then quit it).

Open Windows Explorer and open the following folder:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\"

Now right click "Skype.exe" file and then click "Properties" and open the "Security" tab.

Click the "Edit" button and then highlight "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and place a tick in the "Write" box.

Click "Apply" and then "OK" and then "OK" again. See Figures-2 to Figure-6 below:

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

This is it, now run Skype and check the Disk Usage in Task Manager and it will no longer show you 100% disk usage anymore:-

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

Hopefully, this will resolve your issues.

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
These types of issues mostly occur by a common combination of Skype and Google Chrome. To fix this issue do the following:

Google Chrome:

In Google Chrome, go to Settings > Show Advanced Settings ... > Privacy > Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly

and untick it. See Figure-1 below:

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

Make sure you have exited Skype and it is not running in the taskbar (if it is running in the taskbar then quit it).

Open Windows Explorer and open the following folder:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\"

Now right click "Skype.exe" file and then click "Properties" and open the "Security" tab.

Click the "Edit" button and then highlight "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and place a tick in the "Write" box.

Click "Apply" and then "OK" and then "OK" again. See Figures-2 to Figure-6 below:

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

This is it, now run Skype and check the Disk Usage in Task Manager and it will no longer show you 100% disk usage anymore:-

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

Hopefully, this will resolve your issues.
thanks but I tried this. It didn't fix the problem
I will list all solutions I have tried but didn't fix the problem later when I have time

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.