Windows 10 Future: Win32 apps vs UWP apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Modern App Stores have been around for many years and are present on macOS, iOS and Android. Now let's add Windows Store to the mix, since Microsoft have struggled with gaining anything to add to their Store, and would like to hear your opinion.

External sites:
Background: Difference between Windows UWP (Universal Windows Platform) and Win32 apps, as explains below:

"Another big reason why UWP apps are desirable over Win32 programs is that they are much more restricted in terms of what they can do after they are installed on the operating system. This makes UWP apps more secure than most Win32 programs. For instance, UWP apps can usually only read the file system in the installed location of the app, as well as an application data folder and a temporary file folder. This is unlike Win32 apps, which usually have access to the whole file system." | Link

In my opinion, UWP apps will shapes Windows 10 future for the Windows 10 Family (Desktop, IoT, Mobile and Xbox), but I do doubt that many members here will not want UWP apps to become the norm, and would prefer Win32 apps. Comment below. :)

Due to the limitations of the Poll, please vote 1 option under Stage A and 1 option under Stage B - that is most fitting to your personal views.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Support 'em both since most of them download SW and keep a backup copy in case of low downtimes during clean installing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DardiM

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Support 'em both since most of them download SW and keep a backup copy in case of low downtimes during clean installing.
What do you mean by "downtimes during clean installation"? Do you mean a Win32 app would be a backup to an UWP app?

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
When Windows 8 launched I felt like UWP was pointless and would ruin the whole classic rich Windows experience. Now with Windows 10 I think they achieved a good balance, making both Win32 and Metro apps useful and consistent in terms of design.

Reactions: DardiM and Vasudev

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I use no UWP apps. I have no third party ones installed and never use any of the ones included with Windows 10. I tried the UWP Netflix app recently, but found that accessing Netflix from my browser gave a better user experience, so I uninstalled the UWP app.

I really hate how the included video app in Windows pauses the video being played when you minimise it or switch to another app.

W

Wave

Support both IMO, UWP is good for security but if we wait for it to become the norm then it won't be as secure like it is today in the future since then malware authors will switch to targeting it more. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Admin should always have access to both while limited users only to UWP. Both need to be supported at the moment and if the technology allows it in the future, replace most common Win32 apps (media players , downloaders, P2P , etc...)
Some complex softwares are just too complicated to be run as UWP , take Photoshop and all its addons/filters.

Reactions: Andy Ful and Wave

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
@Spawn: Do you prefer downloading from Store app every time you reinstall your PC every couple of years or rather keep a copy of all programs in a usb drive?

You can install the apps in a usb stick so if you need to reinstall your pc they will be there. And do you have your phone apps on a usb stick? It's the same for uwp apps.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Spawn: Do you prefer downloading from Store app every time you reinstall your PC every couple of years or rather keep a copy of all programs in a usb drive?
You would need to re-install all your non-portable software upon a clean OS installation, so it does not make a difference. But I would rather use the latest versions by downloading new copies, rather than a copy from 2 years ago which may not be compatible with the latest version of Windows 10. Does this answer your question?

Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

A good approach Microsoft could use would be a lock-down setting which would prevent any non white-listed Win32 applications from executing (working with the SmartScreen network) and allow UWP apps. Alongside this, the lock-down feature should be able to only allow UWP apps and permanently disable Win32 apps also.

This is a better approach IMO because it allows their system to be better secured but also allows them to run Win32 apps which are manually trusted after MS investigation and white-listing.

The only problem I see here is browser exploits to gain remote code execution (meaning the ASM instructions corresponding to the malicious instructions are executing from within the address space of the browser, however it's trusted and therefore allowed to run the code from within it, regardless of the code being malicious).

Another problem I can see with this is them needing to make it fair for their partners too, since if everyone used this feature properly then no one would end up getting infected unless through a browser exploit and mess-up with the apps displayed on the Windows Store. This, alongside with UAC being moved to support UWP too, then it'd just be perfect IMO.

I could even code this functionality and implement it into a new Windows Update myself for them for an after-work fee of £50. Scrap that, make it for free, I'd love to genuinely do such a good feature like this. :D :)

W

Wave

A good approach Microsoft could use would be a lock-down setting which would prevent any non white-listed Win32 applications from executing (working with the SmartScreen network) and allow UWP apps. Alongside this, the lock-down feature should be able to only allow UWP apps and permanently disable Win32 apps also.

This is a better approach IMO because it allows their system to be better secured but also allows them to run Win32 apps which are manually trusted after MS investigation and white-listing.

The only problem I see here is browser exploits to gain remote code execution (meaning the ASM instructions corresponding to the malicious instructions are executing from within the address space of the browser, however it's trusted and therefore allowed to run the code from within it, regardless of the code being malicious).

Another problem I can see with this is them needing to make it fair for their partners too, since if everyone used this feature properly then no one would end up getting infected unless through a browser exploit and mess-up with the apps displayed on the Windows Store. This, alongside with UAC being moved to support UWP too, then it'd just be perfect IMO.

I could even code this functionality and implement it into a new Windows Update myself for them for an after-work fee of £50. Scrap that, make it for free, I'd love to genuinely do such a good feature like this. :D :)
nvm, apparently they are already doing it (the windows version for low end devices), I was too late.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I like the idea of UWP but the maturity still sucks. Startup is always slower than Win32 in mine. Besides, Chrome, etc. are still awesome regardless.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You would need to re-install all your non-portable software upon a clean OS installation, so it does not make a difference. But I would rather use the latest versions by downloading new copies, rather than a copy from 2 years ago which may not be compatible with the latest version of Windows 10. Does this answer your question?
I don't use portable apps at all, I download all apps (full win32) to my usb drive and update it when a new version is released, so when reinstalling I always have the latest version.

You can install the apps in a usb stick so if you need to reinstall your pc they will be there. And do you have your phone apps on a usb stick? It's the same for uwp apps.
I rarely hard reset my phone so apps will be there. in case of major builds of win 10 mobile I do a hard reset and start anew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.