Troubleshoot Windows 10 hangs on restart and updates

Picaro

Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2016
Hello, my pc hangs ( very often ) when I restart it, the same way when updates are installing.I have to turn off by power button.Thanks in advance.

Reactions: MalwareBlockerYT
M

MalwareBlockerYT

I used to have this issue but it resolved itself somehow - I think it was after a Windows Update came along...

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So that issue also occur when updates are not yet download nor install?

Have you try to use System Restore in safe mode? By tapping Shift key?

Upvote 0

Picaro

Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2016
Sure it happens both way... some times when it´s downloading... some times when it´s installing... some times when I restart the machine.
I haven´t tried what you mention... I mean System restore, but let me ask.. do I need a system restore?

Upvote 0

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
You have to use Windows Performance Toolkit in order to troubleshoot it. There are some guides out there.. can't really recommend a particular one but that is the way the go.

Upvote 0

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
There are a few options to resolve it as the others have mentioned, have you tried a system restore to an earlier date?

You can download the standalone update and install it to see if that fixes your issue, As of today, I think the latest update for win10 is KB3200970.

Last resort, put the win10 iso and do an inplace install, it should maintain your files and programs.

Good Luck, let us know if you are able to resolve it.

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
You should update your BIOS, sometimes an outdated BIOS is not always a common issue for this problem, but it's possible to have this. Try this out if this will not resolve your issues then try to test your computer memory. Sometimes, It's possible that failing RAM could be causing the patch installations to freeze. Fortunately, memory is really easy to test. Tell me if this will resolve. Thanks!

Upvote 0
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Upvote 0

Picaro

Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2016
I think the same.. it sounds like dangerous to update the bios.
I found 2 bios updates.. I don't know which one to download.

BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)
BIOS (for device with Ivy Bridge & USB 3.0 Supported)

any suggestion?

Reactions: MalwareBlockerYT
Upvote 0
M

MalwareBlockerYT

I think the same.. it sounds like dangerous to update the bios.
I found 2 bios updates.. I don't know which one to download.

BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)
BIOS (for device with Ivy Bridge & USB 3.0 Supported)

any suggestion?
I would think the top one but make sure you google it since like I said I have never bothered updating the BIOS.

Upvote 0

Picaro

Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2016
I download the first one (even my SO is Windows 10 ) , what should I do before installing
this BIOS. MalwareBlockerYT..... you are the master.
Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0

Picaro

Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2016
I have tried thousands of ways moving from windows 10 ver 1511 to ver 1607.. and I couldn't.
The last one was with an iso.. at the end fails " 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D " error and " the installationfailed in the SECOND BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE DATA operation".. if someone has any suggestion, I'd appreciate it so much.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.