Troubleshoot Windows 10 icons not working in Search. How to fix icons?

mkoundo

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
ever since photos updated its icon, the top apps icons in search got changed. anyone know how to fix this?
thanks

Untitled.png

mkoundo

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Rebuild the Icon Cache.

thanks for the info. I ran the batch file and it did delete the icon cache files, which then got re-created (shown by the modification date). Unfortunately the problem remains. thanks anyway.

@tCitM I don't have kerish, so didn't try that way. Thank you for your suggestion though.

Upvote 0

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hello! This .bat file was provided by AOMEI tech support
rebuild-icon-cache.bat

The .bat file at tenforums did not work for me. Please do not forget to run the files as admin and restart your system.
Both scripts essentially do the same (you can open it and see the code; right click ➡ Edit). The only difference between those two scripts is how it interacts with the user. TenForums scripts warns you what will happen, what to do and asks if you're willing to restart the computer. On the other hand, AOMEI script is simple, and just does the job.

Screenshot_3.png

When I have issues with icons, I'm always using TenForums script and it just works. Before, I used to make my own script like the one AOMEI provided you, and it worked too. I guess you haven't run TenForums script as an administrator so that's why it didn't work.
thanks for the info. I ran the batch file and it did delete the icon cache files, which then got re-created (shown by the modification date). Unfortunately the problem remains. thanks anyway.

@tCitM I don't have kerish, so didn't try that way. Thank you for your suggestion though.
Is that happening on all programs installed or just UWP (Microsoft Store) apps? Does it happen on all of them or just a few? Also, did the problem appear recently?

There are two options you can try;
1. System Restore; that will work only if you had it turned on before problem appeared.
2. Reinstall or re-register UWP apps; follow the Option 1 from TenForums.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkoundo

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Is that happening on all programs installed or just UWP (Microsoft Store) apps? Does it happen on all of them or just a few? Also, did the problem appear recently?

There are two options you can try;
1. System Restore; that will work only if you had it turned on before problem appeared.
2. Reinstall or re-register UWP apps; follow the Option 1 from TenForums.

hi and thanks for taking the time to reply.

yes, it seems to be happening for all UWP apps. The problem appeared recently when the photos app got updated and it got a new icon of its own.

i tried option 1 as per your suggestions and there's no change.

Untitled.png

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I guess you haven't run TenForums script as an administrator so that's why it didn't work.
I know that both scripts do the same job but the one provided by tenforums never worked for me ( I have always run it as an administrator).

@mkoundo Please try as my friends suggested and if nothing works for you, give Kerish Doctor a try and run a full scan. On one of my systems (long time ago), it detected problems with sth called AppX (was having issue with start menu: glitches and resizing issue and icons overlapping) and Kerish fixed that.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.