Windows 10 KB4038788 Botched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread author
I cannot install this update too. Update history says it's installed successfully, but it's not shown in Installed updates list. When I restart laptop after "successful installation", I get "We couldn't complete updates, undoing changes". This is like, at least, 20th time Windows Update downloaded this package.

You can try restarting the Windows Update service.

I cannot install this update too. Update history says it's installed successfully, but it's not shown in Installed updates list. When I restart laptop after "successful installation", I get "We couldn't complete updates, undoing changes". This is like, at least, 20th time Windows Update downloaded this package.

There are various fixes that can be tried. You have to search online. The best fix is a clean install of Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
You can try restarting the Windows Update service.
I did. I've also tried cleaning SoftwareDistribution folder and it didn't help.
There are various fixes that can be tried. You have to search online. The best fix is a clean install of Windows.
I'll rather wait for Microsoft to fix this. I've reinstalled Windows already few months ago. Also, I've been searching and apparently there is only solution for black screen.
I just don't see the point of reinstalling Windows everytime when update won't install. :cool:

P

plat1098

Thread author
Well for Edge-is-broken-from-this-update people, my personal "fix" is to.....dump Edge. On a clean-installed Windows with 99GB free on 117GB C: drive, no legacy hardware, well geez Louise, there should be no excuses and no torment from trying to fix a mysterious problem. I'll raid my piggy bank and buy another anti-exploit key and load Internet Explorer, I've had it.

Edit: And done. Internet Explorer is in, Edge is out. Not playin.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
1. Edge breakage
2. BSODs
3. Black Screens
Edge ain't working now. Thanks for the heads up. You can use Dism Cleanup to clear older updates.

Edge ain't working now. Thanks for the heads up. You can use Dism Cleanup to clear older updates.
Changed default home page to Google and everything works now.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
You can try Windows Update MiniTool.
its a good alternative for win update I'm using it and not even one problem.
Seems this one works better than win update because of a good developer behind it and he probably is better than Microsoft engineers :)
I doubt that will work. I've tried manually installing update package downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog and still keeps failing. It's weird because I've updated desktop PC without any problems. :LOL:

Last edited:

SUPRA

Level 3
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
But I have rebooted my pc many times not solving the problem. Have you experienced such kind of problem.

SUPRA

Level 3
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Reactions: Venustus

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
The solution that the link provides is somehow different kind I am having no login problem or black screen at the time of login I am having this problem while I am exiting from a game so it is different.
You can try it and if problem still exist return service to default state. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.