Windows 10 May 2019 Update starts rolling out today

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The best thing I have noticed since upgrading to 1903 is that when I get an elevation prompt in SUA it actually always gives me the option to use my administrator pin now. Before it was about 50/50 whether I'd have to enter my very LONG password each time.

Another thing I’ve noticed is lower memory usage. Has anyone else noticed this?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Same error in Event viewer too. Nothing in "Reliability History".

For anyone: I found something that addresses the ESENT 455 error. Went ahead and created the folders as explained in the link below and several EDB files were placed in the new Database folder a few minutes later, identical to what was shown in the solution-post linked below. These ESENT errors occur in clusters over time so we'll see if they're gone for good. I have this neurotic aversion to Event Viewer errors, I'm telling you.

Edit: Issue is resolved. Regular ESENT message/info entries in Event Viewer now. Thanks to the poster in the link for the solution. (y)

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Updated yesterday and everything went fine except graphics drivers. I cannot get AMD drivers (from their official site) to install properly. Once I remove old drivers and install the new ones, Windows won't past the loading screen. Tried installing older version - nothing. I'm creating Windows To Go now to see if it's happening there.

I can install drivers normally trough Device Manager, but I still need AMD Radeon Settings which I cannot get without installing drivers from the AMD's site.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
AMD drivers apparently aren't compatible with 1903.
My PC went to sleep and upon waking up, everything was reddish tainted with black. It was kind of cool, definitely AMD branded. I took a screenshot and restarted, it was gone, even from the screenshot, I guess the driver affected monitor's color calibration or something. Waiting for 19.5.3. :giggle:

Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Tried literally anything, nothing worked so far. I found few more posts on AMD forum about issues with 1903 and, simply, looks like they didn't make compatible drivers. This may be a problem for some users because I haven't got any warning about incompatibility when I ran Update Assistant. Looking at Reddit, few hours from now AMD will host a keynote at Computex; hopefully, they'll announce new drivers.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
This documentation provides information on how to resolve a boot issue that may be experienced by users attempting to install or update to Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) when an AMD Ryzen™ or AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ system is configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.
Users will need to download and install “AMD RAID Installer (SATA, NVMe RAID)” driver 9.2.0.105 (268MB)
Maybe that could help some of you. Since I'm staying on 1809 till forced use at your own risk.

L

Local Host

This documentation provides information on how to resolve a boot issue that may be experienced by users attempting to install or update to Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) when an AMD Ryzen™ or AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ system is configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.
Users will need to download and install “AMD RAID Installer (SATA, NVMe RAID)” driver 9.2.0.105 (268MB)
Maybe that could help some of you. Since I'm staying on 1809 till forced use at your own risk.
There seems to be a lot of AMD related issues, I'm glad I didn't update yet.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does not want to update on enterprise editions from the upgrade tool
Set to Semi-Annual Channel* instead of Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted), or you can defer a Feature update for up to 365 days.

What's the difference:
  • Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) means that the update is ready for most people. <-- better for home users
  • Semi-Annual Channel means that it's ready for widespread use in organisations. <-- better for SMB
*Accurate on build 1809.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I had to give 1903 almost a week before it straightened itself out--as if by magic. Probably had some telemetry going on, which in this context is very good. Little hangs and other issues went away. Night light doesn't work properly but I relented and installed f.lux--it's actually better than NL. Got Edge.old to stop bugging me every time I closed it with more than one tab open by finding a registry edit online. It's actually a pleasure to run this machine on v. 1903 at the moment. :emoji_ok_hand:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.