Windows 10 May 2019 Update starts rolling out today

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
is this a free permenant upgrade?? & can you install a clean copy without a prudoct key??
Microsoft offers bi-yearly Feature Updates for FREE, for licensed Windows 10 users.

If you do not currently own a Windows 10 device, then you must buy a genuine license which is approx. $99-149. All New PCs come with Windows 10 Home or Pro, with a few exceptions on the Surface line.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So I woke my desktop from sleep today and logged in to discover Defender warning me Tamper Protection had been turned off. I did not turn it off...so this is a bug, kind of defeats the purpose.
Yes, a few people reported it, but it is fairly new, so bugs are to be expected, it does not work properly on clean install and can be disabled via reg.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It happened initially after update but sorted itself out quite fast.

I was watching for it since other had mentioned it, but this is after days of use and then not being used for a couple days. Strange, but seems to be staying enabled for the moment.

Reactions: show-Zi

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Dev faster on my laptop as the last windows version. the last update was a mess for me, this time i got lucky. seems like all is working as it should. it feels realy snappy with wd/voodooshield, thanks windows.

Reactions: roger_m and show-Zi

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
How much time does it take to install, after the reboot of update assistant on an SSD?

Mine took around an hour to get past the “hello there, we have new features for you” screen from the start on an ssd using update assistant. The update assistant part took about 30 minutes until restart on 1809 for me. You’re mileage may vary.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Mine took around an hour to get past the “hello there, we have new features for you” screen from the start on an ssd using update assistant. The update assistant part took about 30 minutes until restart on 1809 for me. You’re mileage may vary.
I mean, 1 hour after you choose to reboot on update assistant?

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
A question, so if cortana go separate from search.. you can now disable totally cortana ? ( mean not services in backgroup so no needed to block searchUIexe from firewall and so )

Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I regret updating; sleep mode isn't working too as well as settings that regulate what happens when laptop lid is closed. It's also way slower than 1809. I'd go back, but I can't, because some files are missing. Anyway, waiting for the first update... :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So I woke my desktop from sleep today and logged in to discover Defender warning me Tamper Protection had been turned off. I did not turn it off...so this is a bug, kind of defeats the purpose.
If you use Sleep/Fast Startup on a daily basis (there is nothing wrong with using it), but may be a good idea to properly cycle the OS with a Restart once per week - or depending on usage.

Windows PCs typically operate in a number of Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) power states. An S0 power state, for example, is when your PC is running and ready to respond to your input. There are a number of sleep states, including S1, S2, and S3, and there's also a hybrid sleep state where hibernation is used in tandem with a sleep state.

Hibernation is considered an S4 power state. While hibernating, your PC will seem like it's completely off, but there will be a saved hibernation file ready to be used to boot back to where you were during your last user session. Some power is usually still routed to peripherals so that you can, say, tap your keyboard and have the PC boot.

An S5 power state (soft off) is when your PC is shut down and rebooted completely. There's no hibernation file and no saved user session. There is also a G3 power state, which is when your PC consumes absolutely no power and is by all means off.

With fast startup enabled, choosing to shut down your PC might look like you're completely shutting things down, but in reality, your PC is entering a mix between a shutdown and hibernation. A hibernation file is indeed used, although it is smaller than usual. Why? You're logged off before the file is created, meaning your session is not recorded. The speed boost comes from the Windows kernel being saved on your hard drive and loaded when booting.
More info: What is fast startup and why is it an option in Windows 10?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If you use Sleep/Fast Startup on a daily basis (there is nothing wrong with using it), but may be a good idea to properly cycle the OS with a Restart once per week - or depending on usage.

More info: What is fast startup and why is it an option in Windows 10?

Thanks. I generally restart at least once a week. Sometimes not, but that’s rare. It has been restarted a couple times since the update. My main reason for sleeping it is running a backup during off hours so I don’t forget

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.