Windows 10 Pro 1803 Services to Disable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Hi, can somebody list all vulnerable, bad, useless services to disable for security, performance that MS make start automatically?

Cortana and web result through Windows search. You have to create registry keys to disable these two. Change your default browser to something else and not Edge. This will prevent Edge auto start running in the Task Manager after Windows booting.

Takashi94

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2018
Cortana and web result through Windows search. You have to create registry keys to disable these two. Change your default browser to something else and not Edge. This will prevent Edge auto start running in the Task Manager after Windows booting.
Otherwise does it start automatically? Didn't knew. That's very aggressive, cunning of Microsoft. Does it open its ports for listening as well?

Takashi94

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2018
I mean Edge, I'm Chrome user BTW. I don't hate Cortana, since it's ease of access to search in a sec any file, software I want to open, run in my PC, but is there anyway to stop it from looking up, everything typed instantly?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Otherwise does it start automatically? Didn't knew. That's very aggressive, cunning of Microsoft. Does it open its ports for listening as well?

I had Adblock Plus installed on Edge on 1709. After updated to 1803, Edge auto start in the Task Manager after Windows boot up consuming over 200MB of RAM. After disabled adblock plus, it dropped the RAM usage from 200MB to around 50MB, but Edge still auto start in the Task Manager after Windows boot up. To solve this, I changed the default browser to Google Chrome. Since then, Edge no longer autostart after Windows boot up. Regarding to open its port for listening, I have no idea.

Mexirony

Jul 4, 2018
Hi, can somebody list all vulnerable, bad, useless services to disable for security, performance that MS make start automatically?

This service list if focused mostly on low-end machines under standard productivity tasks such as streaming, office, email, teleconferencing, social networks, printing, scanning, gaming, programming, etc. It is not intended for enterprise/corportate duties, remote cloud assistance or others advanced tasks. It is the end result of long cycles of trial/error evaluations to reach the minimal services combo possible that consume the lowest resources from hardware components. It is perfect for low-spec netbooks, low-range laptops and old machines.

Nomenclature:

- (I) Immovable. Windows fixed grayed-out, restricted to disable.
- (P) Priority. Essential for proper functionallity.
- (O) Optional. Recommended for specific tasks but not critical.

Windows 10 services:

- (I) Application Identity
- (I) AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC)
- (P) Windows Audio Endpoint Builder (audio enhance)
- (P) Windows Audio (audio enhance)
- (I) Background Tasks Infrastructure Service
- (I) Client License Service (ClipSVC)
- (I) CoreMessaging
- (P) Cryptographic Services (critical for trusted certification, activates automatically)
- (P) Device Association Service (critical for boot/sleep modes functionallity)
- (O) Device Install Service (mobile - ADB interface - devices recognition/installation)
- (P) DHCP Client (WiFi dependable)
- (I) Enterprise App Management Service
- (P) Windows Event Log (WiFi dependable)
- (I) Group Policy Client
- (I) Local Session Manager
- (O) Windows Firewall (security dependable, activates automatically)
- (I) Windows Installer
- (P) Network List Service (depends on DHCP Client)
- (I) Microsoft Passport Container
- (I) Microsoft Passport
- (P) Network Location Awareness (depends on DHCP Client)
- (P) Network Store Interface Service (WiFi dependable)
- (P) Power (boot/sleep fundamental)
- (I) RPC Endpoint Mapper
- (I) Task Scheduler
- (O) Print Spooler (printer services dependable)
- (I) State Repository Service
- (I) System Events Broker
- (I) Tile Data model server
- (I) Time Broker
- (P) Windows Connection Manager (WiFi dependable)
- (P) WLAN AutoConfig (WiFi critical)
- (O) Windows Driver Foundation (enhance USB-to-VGA external monitors and special drivers)
- (I) CDPUserSvc_#####
- (I) MessagingService_#####
- (I) all immovable '_#####' sub-services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.