Windows 10 Start Menu not working

gulshannegi

Thread author
Oct 23, 2020
Hello all, last night I Update my windows 10 pro after the update is complete I restart my PC when the booting process is complete, and system boots up, I pressed the windows key and relies on that it isn't working, firstly i think this may be the windows error, I restart my PC again and again but the problem is same as previous. so can anyone help me to fix this issue or this may be Keyboard/Windows Error?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
If it's just the Start Menu that's acting up, it can be from a single windows update; this windows update below might be where it came from, or more steps might be needed to fix this. I would try this one first, ... if you have the update KB4517389 installed. Uninstalling can fix this issue... here's how,

How to fix Start menu critical errors after updating to KB4517389
To uninstall Windows 10 update KB4517389 and resolve related problems with the Start menu, use these steps:

1. Open Settings.
    Quick tip: As a result of the Start menu being broken, you can open the Settings app using the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut. Alternatively, you can right-click the desktop and select the Display settings or Personalize option. Or if available, right-click the Start menu, and select the Settings option or right-click the taskbar and select the Taskbar settings option.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Windows Update.
  4. Click the View update history option.
  5. Click the Uninstall updates option.
  6. Select the "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4517389)" item.
  7. Click the Uninstall button.
  8. Click the Yes button.
  9. Click the Restart Now button.
Once you complete these steps, your device will revert to the previous version, fixing any issues you may have experienced with the Start menu.

This may or may not be the solution, but I figure it could be worth trying...

Here's a link to Microsoft help site, on Start button not working.
Windows 10 start button not working

Also a nice link from helpdeskgeek, and
What to Do If Your Windows 10 Start Menu Doesn’t Work?

Lastly, a Youtube Windows 10 Start fix video, but I have not watched the video, so proceed with caution.

Upvote 0

gulshannegi

Thread author
Oct 23, 2020
If it's just the Start Menu that's acting up, it can be from a single windows update; this windows update below might be where it came from, or more steps might be needed to fix this. I would try this one first, ... if you have the update KB4517389 installed. Uninstalling can fix this issue... here's how,

How to fix Start menu critical errors after updating to KB4517389
To uninstall Windows 10 update KB4517389 and resolve related problems with the Start menu, use these steps:

1. Open Settings.
    Quick tip: As a result of the Start menu being broken, you can open the Settings app using the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut. Alternatively, you can right-click the desktop and select the Display settings or Personalize option. Or if available, right-click the Start menu, and select the Settings option or right-click the taskbar and select the Taskbar settings option.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Windows Update.
  4. Click the View update history option.
  5. Click the Uninstall updates option.
  6. Select the "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4517389)" item.
  7. Click the Uninstall button.
  8. Click the Yes button.
  9. Click the Restart Now button.
Once you complete these steps, your device will revert to the previous version, fixing any issues you may have experienced with the Start menu.

This may or may not be the solution, but I figure it could be worth trying...

Here's a link to Microsoft help site, on Start button not working.
Windows 10 start button not working

Also a nice link from helpdeskgeek, and
What to Do If Your Windows 10 Start Menu Doesn’t Work?

Lastly, a Youtube Windows 10 Start fix video, but I have not watched the video, so proceed with caution.

Thanks for the reply This is very helpful, the video is also very helpful, thanks for sharing, I also found this Windows 10 start button not working on the official website of Microsoft and How to Fix Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working [Fixed] Found on the Internet. this also really helps me a lot. My Problem is solved now.
Thank You.

Upvote 0

gulshannegi

Thread author
Oct 23, 2020
Try the solutions JakeXPMan gave above.
Last year I faced this problem twice. Tried so many things but nothing was able to fix it for me. I had to reinstall Windows both times. Try all the solution first, if nothing works then reinstall windows.
And also, always keep a system image backup.
Thanks for the reply, My Problem is solved Now,

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.