Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The data collecting activities of Windows 10 has landed Microsoft in trouble again. Investigating the telemetry built into the operating system, the Dutch Data Protection Authority (DPA) has said that Microsoft's spying is a violation of local privacy laws.

Of particular concern to the authority is the fact that users are not clearly told that data will be collected in both Windows itself and Microsoft Edge. With Microsoft's web browser gathering data about every URL that's visited by users who have not opted out of telemetry, and Windows 10 itself sucking up detailed information about app usage, the DPA is concerned that users are not adequately informed or protected.
The DPA -- the latest European authority to take exception to Microsoft's activities -- says that there are more than 4 million Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro devices in the Netherlands. It notes that users are not informed about data collection properly, nor are they told about how the data will be used. This places Microsoft in violation of the Dutch data protection law.

The DPA says:

Microsoft does not clearly inform users about the type of data it uses, and for which purpose. Also, people cannot provide valid consent for the processing of their personal data, because of the approach used by Microsoft. The company does not clearly inform users that it continuously collects personal data about the usage of apps and web surfing behaviour through its web browser Edge, when the default settings are used.

The authority is calling on Microsoft to make changes to telemetry settings, or the company could find that it faces sanctions in the Netherlands. Wilbert Tomesen, vice-chairman of the Dutch DPA, says:

It turns out that Microsoft's operating system follows about every step you take on your computer. That results in an intrusive profile of yourself. What does that mean? Do people know about this, do they want this? Microsoft needs to give users a fair opportunity to decide about this themselves.

Microsoft is understandably keen to resolve the matter, with Windows and devices group privacy officer Marisa Rogers saying that the company is willing to work with the DPA to get things sorted out. She says:

I want our customers to know that it is a priority for us that Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro are clearly compliant under Dutch law.

Since launching Windows 10, we've been on a journey listening to feedback from customers and collaborating with regulators around the world. As a result, we've made improvements to ensure all versions of Windows 10 meet our customers' privacy needs and expectations. For example, we've worked with Swiss and French data protection authorities to incorporate their guidance, subsequently improving the privacy controls in Windows 10 Home and Pro and earning their positive assessments of the changes.

This year we have released a new privacy dashboard and several new privacy features to provide clear choices to our customers and easy-to-use tools in Windows 10. Next week, we have even more privacy improvements coming in the Fall Creators Update.

We welcome the opportunity to continue to work with the Dutch DPA on their comments related to Windows 10 Home and Pro, and we will continue to cooperate with the DPA to find appropriate solutions.

But Microsoft is not entirely happy with the investigations carried out by the DPA. While the company does not elaborate on what it disagrees with, Rogers says:

We have also shared specific concerns with the Dutch DPA about the accuracy of some of its findings and conclusions. A summary of the points in the DPA's announcement, which we believe do not accurately reflect the data protection compliance of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro under Dutch law, can be found here.

No surprises here!!!:ROFLMAO:

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
M$ with Win10 became quite atrocious, going so far as changing user's settings after an update and downloading apps without user's permission. It's great to see them get in trouble with various privacy commissions.
Agreed!
"Windows 10" should be renamed "Windows Telemetry":LOL::LOL:

D

Deleted member 65228

It has gone far enough now I think, every week there is a new report about a law violation. The remedial solution is for Microsoft to stop implementing telemetry functionality on the level they currently are, to re-evaluate what information they really need to collect about their customers, and go back to the old plan of action methods where they do not spy so much or as consistently as they currently do.

Windows 10 is a really good operating system if we put all the additional bloat, and other factors such as telemetry aside. There is no reason for it to be continued to be ruined by such functionality that most people do not actually want. There is nothing wrong with making it fully optional (opt-in) and disabled by default IMO, and even then collecting bare-bone essentials when enabled.

Regardless though, Microsoft have trashed their reputation/credibility by a long-shot and it will take a superior amount of work from now to re-build trust with people should they go down a remedial path.

For the record, such telemetry functionality may also be a big flaw in itself (security-wise) if any information is stored locally or maintains stored in memory, because it could open up opportunities for attackers to start manually collecting such logs or accessing the recorded data from memory as a way of spying on infected users without having to do the dirty work themselves and causing additional slow-down... Just pointing this out!

Advertisement:
Windows Telemetry provides new up-scaled never-seen-before experience to all customers globally who wish to get their hands on unravelling new technology. You can obtain Windows Telemetry simply by signing these illegal and unethical documents which do not hold up in court and violate several laws present in most countries, but on the bright-side you get pixel-perfect display and super-fast operation execution.

Did we mention that is it never-seen-before and brand new?

Price: Free

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think, Telemetry has always existed. Or do you think that in Win 7 there is no Telemetry ??. What happens is that we now have more information about privacy. But nothing more to turn on the computer if it triggers the telemetry not only of windows but also of the programs that we have. What in windows 10 has been too aggressive.

D

Deleted member 65228

I think, Telemetry has always existed. Or do you think that in Win 7 there is no Telemetry ??. What happens is that we now have more information about privacy. But nothing more to turn on the computer if it triggers the telemetry not only of windows but also of the programs that we have. What in windows 10 has been too aggressive.
I guess we have to face the truth that there is no such thing as full privacy, but I understand fully why this is and I am not pushing for it to be 100% myself because I agree that surveillance by government agencies can be beneficial as long as powers are not abused (although I do disagree with a lot too, like trying to prevent people from using encryption because in some scenarios it can be important, and many people use such for non-illegal purposes). That doesn't mean we need to be spied on 100% though either, and I am not saying this. I think there is a line which when crossed is just pure violation of rights we should have, or at least genuine reasoning behind crossing such a boundary.

However, Microsoft are not a government agency and they collect a lot of information they do NOT actually need. If they really expect me to believe that there are teams of people who need every single bit of information they collect between every single user on Windows then more fool them. They need to tone it down and fix their mess up a bit, it is time for a clean up. More and more people are starting to dislike Windows because of disagreement... It is no longer the happy days!

Microsoft will make a lot of money whether they do a clean up or not, but over time things will get worse if they do not change their ways and while it may sound unrealistic, if Microsoft do not clean-up their act anytime soon then I expect there to be a big Windows OS migration between customers by 2020, where a large portion move to another OS. Sounds unrealistic but I think it is definitely possible... It is like Call Of Duty where so many people pushed for boots on the ground but the companies made a ton of money regardless so for a few years they continued doing things their way even if they had suspicions it would fail heavily, or even Anti-Virus vendors who still to this day have not focused on modern mechanisms but still have customers who pay.

ReactOS is one promising OS project for example. If it gets updated more since it is outdated a lot by more and more people, they could start building a nicer UI for it like Microsoft did with the Windows 10 transformation. In a case like this if cards were played right, maybe people would just focus on that instead of Windows, with an OS name change of course. Maybe just "React". It can also handle Windows software if the software supports earlier versions of Windows since ReactOS is a bit outdated.

It is definitely a possibility IMO. Not soon, but < 3-5 years maybe if things don't improve.

The privacy issue wouldn't be an issue if Microsoft would just publish a bulleted list of everything that they are collecting, how they are collecting it and what their OS privacy settings control with detailed explanations. Everything pertaining to Windows privacy should be in a single, easy to follow, easy to find location.

Instead, to manage Windows 10 privacy requires visiting websites, reading multiple documents that are not easy to find, and - still - the user is left confused. That is the crux of the DPA arguments.

Microsoft's reply to the DPA findings is utter spin by a corporate spin doctor.

Microsoft has far too much influence and control over the world, pretty much does what it wants, and I for one, would like to see Microsoft censured and fined onerously - to the extent that it really hurts and makes it change - but it just isn't going to happen.

I personally despise a number of Microsoft's practices and I will not hide my contempt for the whole lot of 'em. That's just my personal perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The privacy issue wouldn't be an issue if Microsoft would just publish a bulleted list of everything that they are collecting, how they are collecting it and what their OS privacy settings control with detailed explanations. Everything pertaining to Windows privacy should be in a single, easy to follow, easy to find location.
Even if they did i wouldn't believe it!
Microsoft finally reveals exactly what telemetry Windows 10 collects about your PC - ExtremeTech

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
@opcodeI. agree with you, but people will continue to use windows. because they are not interested or do not know. A migration to another system in mass is almost impossible people want things easy. Play, Chat and more. And in that windows is the King
It is sad but true as I know I like easy. Not smart enough to do it the hardway or have enough time. :p:cool:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Microsoft is the least credible and trustworthy big-name corporation in the world. It has far too much influence and power, does what it wants unilaterally, and has done the same shady things in one form or another over-and-over. That's my personal experience and opinion.
Google concerns me far more than Microsoft with the amount of actual personal information it must have on everyone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.