Windows 10 upgrade failed : Error 0x000000f

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
U mean to stay that before I upgrade, I must uninstall KIS. I have KIS on my system and have been facing this error thrice

Yes, before upgrading you should uninstall KIS , then you have 2 option :

1 - Upgrade normally .
2 - Make ISO for Win 10 and upgrade from boot .

I prefer option 2 cause you will have an ISO for Win 10 for any further clean install in the future .:)

Reactions: trainbus120

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013

1 - Upgrade normally .

I prefer option 2 cause you will have an ISO for Win 10 for any further clean install in the future .:)
Thanks, but upgrading now seems so scary to me.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013

1 - Upgrade normally .

Even after uninstalling KIS, facing the same issue. I am highly frustrated:mad:

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
So what's your current situation? Can you boot into Windows 7, does this work?
Finally I have given up upgrading process. I tried thrice. after every failure read various forums, checked for disk errors, uninstalled KIS etc., still the same issue. Don't know why? have given up now:( Again will have to run repair and go back to windows 7

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
That is a common error that also plagued Windows Vista to Windows 7 users, Windows 7 to windows 8 users and so forth.

If repair check disk doesnt work, do a clean install of windows 7 (after you have backed up your files). On a clean W7, just do updates and you should be able to do the upgrade.

If the error was at booting up after upgrading, the following commands tend to work:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr

bootrec.exe /FixBoot

bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

I would do the repair first and chkdisk but if you have done already the following steps (no missing), then just do a clean install of 7 and then just update to sp1 (unless your image is SP1, which you can still download the iso for free, and just go from there).

Im sure chkdisk guide already been provided but never hurts mentioning it:
Inside Recovery console, go to command prompt and enter the following commands (assuming you are using C drive as the main default drive)

C:\sfc /scannow
Hit Enter
C:\ chkdsk /f /r
Hit Enter
and then
SFC /scannow
Hit enter
and then finally
chkdsk /f /r

If you need recovery disks:
Download here:

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
That is a common error that also plagued Windows Vista to Windows 7 users, Windows 7 to windows 8 users and so forth.

If repair check disk doesnt work, do a clean install of windows 7 (after you have backed up your files). On a clean W7, just do updates and you should be able to do the upgrade.

If the error was at booting up after upgrading, the following commands tend to work:

I would do the repair first and chkdisk but if you have done already the following steps (no missing), then just do a clean install of 7 and then just update to sp1 (unless your image is SP1, which you can still download the iso for free, and just go from there).

Im sure chkdisk guide already been provided but never hurts mentioning it:

If you need recovery disks:
Download here:
Thanks Friend. Though after trying to upgrade thrice before, I have lost hopes. Not sure if this will work on my system.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Error : 0x000000f & 0x0000225 even after clear windows 7 install & then upgrading to windows 10. Finally dumped it. Good bye windows 10. Horrifying experience.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Error : 0x000000f & 0x0000225 even after clear windows 7 install & then upgrading to windows 10. Finally dumped it. Good bye windows 10. Horrifying experience.
only thing that this will pinpoint to is hardware. In any case if you reserved W10, you have one year to upgrade so perhaps wait until later or contact Microsoft Directly.

Viruss

Aug 7, 2015
I had this same issues upgrading a Dell laptop.

In my case I was able to resolve the issue by going into bios and turning on uefi boot. Apparently windows 10 upgrade does not like the legacy boot option.

After turning on uefi boot I reinstalled windows 7 with the factory restore disk and then ran the windows 10 upgrade again. The upgrade was successful this time for me and windows activated properly.

Hope this helps.

I tried upgrading from my Windows 7 Home to Windows 10. Things went fine before a system restart ended in the below error. I searched for solution but :(. Any idea any one ?

View attachment 67296

Denise Hilton

Aug 16, 2015
I tried upgrading from my Windows 7 Home to Windows 10. Things went fine before a system restart ended in the below error. I searched for solution but :(. Any idea any one ?

View attachment 67296

I received the same error along with a couple of errors afterwards. This expert was able to assist me and fixed all the errors that i got https://www.fiverr.com/umairhp/provide-quick-solutions-for-all-your-computer-problems. Now my windows 10 is running fine and haven't received any error ever since. Hope it keeps going that way.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
lets go and slap bill gates and satya round the head a few times and say " fix my windows 10 biotch"

akiozan

Sep 26, 2015

View attachment 67296

I had the same problem. I have a 5 years old HP Elitebook 8440P. Microsoft technical support told me that my laptop is not eligible to get WIN10. However, I solved that problem. You don't have to wait Microsoft's upgrade offer. Please, follow the these steps:

1- Create a bootable Win10 usb stick. (4 gb is enough)
2-When you are running on the win7. Open the usb disk and run the setup.exe
3-Choose upgrade to Win10.

I'm pretty sure you will pass the problem!

Also, you can watch this youtube video. That guys show you how can u do that. This is Turkish but it's ok. I'm sure you can figure it out.

:)

Ozzy

HieronymusGarcus

Oct 29, 2016
Nothing beats the crap out of all your boot issues than using Windows Boot Genius. Just make sure you've got the software installed to another PC, you have a flashdrive/disk and a common sense to read the instructions there to make everything work. Try this, and you won't regret. Best of luck, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.