Windows 10 upgrade failed : Error 0x000000f

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
I tried upgrading from my Windows 7 Home to Windows 10. Things went fine before a system restart ended in the below error. I searched for solution but :(. Any idea any one ?

IMAG0680.gif

Reactions: nissimezra

ZypKode

Level 1
Verified
Aug 7, 2014
Going from Windows 7 or 8 to 10 is going to be a Bigger Disaster then People getting online for Obama Care.

Reactions: nissimezra
H

hjlbx

I tried upgrading from my Windows 7 Home to Windows 10. Things went fine before a system restart ended in the below error. I searched for solution but :(. Any idea any one ?

View attachment 67296

Run chkdsk \r c using elevated command prompt.

It is virtually impossible to know for sure without direct access to your specific system, but you might have hard disk issues - that code, 0x000000f is often associated with Boot\memory failure.

If chkdsk indicates problem, then it would be advisable to run hardware mfr's diagnostic tools.

There's a lot of sharp users here at MT, perhaps some others will think of something I have not even considered.

Best Regards,

HJLBX

Reactions: Ink and JakeXPMan
H

hjlbx

It is frustrating as no body actually knows even at Microsoft :eek: This is far from ending

It is extremely unlikely that you would find any real help via Microsoft support...

On the other hand, you will get high-level, experienced help at Sysnative.com or My Digital Life Forums. Such help can be painfully slow though since using forum...

HJLBX

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That specific error follows to have a corrupt hard disk which either try to repair by bootable disc or isolate those error of sector.

Research where some users manage to solve by attempt to access recovery using recovery device.

Last edited:

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Go into your BIOS and load default settings to clear the CMOS memory.
  1. Save Settings and exit the BIOS.
  2. Shut down and turn off the computer.
  3. Unplug the computer from the wall or surge protector (then remove the battery if it is a laptop).
  4. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. This closes the circuit and ensures all power from components is drained to clear the software connections between the BIOS and hardware and clear any corruption in the temporary memory.
  5. (If it is a laptop, plug the battery back into the laptop and then) Plug the computer back into the wall.
  6. Turn it on to reinitialize the software connections between the BIOS and hardware, and post back your results.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Run chkdsk \r c using elevated command prompt.

It is virtually impossible to know for sure without direct access to your specific system, but you might have hard disk issues - that code, 0x000000f is often associated with Boot\memory failure.

If chkdsk indicates problem, then it would be advisable to run hardware mfr's diagnostic tools.

There's a lot of sharp users here at MT, perhaps some others will think of something I have not even considered.

Best Regards,

HJLBX
I tried this already. There were some errors but still getting the same error

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
Go into your BIOS and load default settings to clear the CMOS memory.
  1. Save Settings and exit the BIOS.
  2. Shut down and turn off the computer.
  3. Unplug the computer from the wall or surge protector (then remove the battery if it is a laptop).
  4. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. This closes the circuit and ensures all power from components is drained to clear the software connections between the BIOS and hardware and clear any corruption in the temporary memory.
  5. (If it is a laptop, plug the battery back into the laptop and then) Plug the computer back into the wall.
  6. Turn it on to reinitialize the software connections between the BIOS and hardware, and post back your results.
Didn't work dear.

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
The same happened to me while upgrading from Win 8.1 . My PC back to Win 8.1 automatically.
I use this tool from microsoft to upgrade but after uninstall KIS :
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

By this tool you can make iso file for DVD or make USB boot, Use it for Upgrading from outside windows
-- ( during installation select upgrade not clean install ) .

If you asked for a Key normally press " skip " ,
--- you should do upgrade for the first time to keep your activation ,

After upgrading , you can make clean installation and you will not lose your activation " tested ".

Reactions: trainbus120

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
The same happened to me while upgrading from Win 8.1 . My PC back to Win 8.1 automatically.

By this tool you can make iso file for DVD or make USB boot, Use it for Upgrading from outside windows

After upgrading , you can make clean installation and you will not lose your activation " tested ".
About KIS... I experienced that my BitDefender install barely worked after the upgrade. Forgot to uninstall it. So, good call there. :)

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
About KIS... I experienced that my BitDefender install barely worked after the upgrade. Forgot to uninstall it. So, good call there. :)

I upgraded 2 machine ( PC & laptop ) , Both worked with KIS 2016 , my lap faced this problem but , my PC uninstall KIS 2016 automatically during upgrading process. !!! o_O

Reactions: NekoJonez

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
BitDefender wasn't uninstalled... It couldn't boot but it was still installed. I have to use the uninstall tool AND manually remove it. So yeah, was a pain. But I got it working.

trainbus120

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2013

U mean to stay that before I upgrade, I must uninstall KIS. I have KIS on my system and have been facing this error thrice

Reactions: hamo and nissimezra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.