Windows 10 v2004 comes with Wi-Fi 6 and WPA3 support

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft announced that Windows 10, version 2004 comes with Wi-Fi 6 and WPA3 support for gigabit speeds and better performance, as well as for more secure wireless network connectivity.

The Windows 10 May 2020 Update was released by Microsoft today, as part of a gradual rollout process to users around the world.

"Windows 10 (Version 2004) supports Wi-Fi 6 and WPA3," Microsoft says. "Wi-Fi 6 gives you better wireless coverage and performance with added security. WPA3 provides improved Wi-Fi security by using the latest standard."

Full article and information

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Quote from the article

To see if you’re connected using WPA3 security:

1. Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
  2. Select the Wi-Fi network icon on the right side of the taskbar, then select Properties underneath the Wi-Fi network name.
  3. On the Wi-Fi network screen, under Properties, look at the value next to Security type. It will include WPA3 if you’re connected to a network using WPA3 encryption for security.
Unquote

Actually, for the security protocol, it depends on what you set in the router,

If you set

1) WPA2-Personal in the router it'll show as WPA-2 Personal under the Security type device
2) WPA2-Personal/WPA3-Personal in the router then it'll show as WPA2-Personal/WPA3-Personal under the Security type in the device, and similalry
3) WPA3-Personal in the router then it'll show as WPA3-Personal under Security type in the device

Unless you have ALL devices utilizing WPA3 then option 3) can be fulfilled. The question now is how do you know your device(s) is indeed connected to the router in WPA3 and not WPA2 mode for option 2) if you have a mix of devices utilizing both?

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Quote from the article

To see if you’re connected using WPA3 security:

1. Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
  2. Select the Wi-Fi network icon on the right side of the taskbar, then select Properties underneath the Wi-Fi network name.
  3. On the Wi-Fi network screen, under Properties, look at the value next to Security type. It will include WPA3 if you’re connected to a network using WPA3 encryption for security.
Unquote

Actually, for the security protocol, it depends on what you set in the WiFi6 router,

If you set

1) WPA2-Personal in the router it'll show as WPA-2 Personal under the Security type device
2) WPA2-Personal/WPA3-Personal in the router then it'll show as WPA2-Personal/WPA3-Personal under the Security type in the device, and similalry
3) WPA3-Personal in the router then it'll show as WPA3-Personal under Security type in the device

Unless you have ALL devices utilizing WiFi6 then option 3) can be fulfilled. The question now is how do you know your WiFi6 device(s) is indeed connected to the WiFi6 router in WPA3 and not WPA2 mode for option 2) if you have a mix of devices utilizing WiFi5 and WiFi6?
I know for ASUS cards their WiFi utility will show what protocol is being used. I don’t know of a way to do it through Windows.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I know for ASUS cards their WiFi utility will show what protocol is being used. I don’t know of a way to do it through Windows.
That is on the router side. But on connected devices like laptops, handphones etc they just show what you set in the router. Unless the spec of the connected device states it supports WPA3 otherwise it's difficult to find out. So the only way is to set the router to WPA2/WPA3 combo mode

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
That is on the router side. But on connected devices like laptops, handphones etc they just show what you set in the router. Unless the spec of the connected device states it supports WPA3 otherwise it's difficult to find out. So the only way is to set the router to WPA2/WPA3 combo mode
So we have to assume they are using the most secure protocol available, but can’t know. How unfortunate.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So we have to assume they are using the most secure protocol available, but can’t know. How unfortunate.
Can't assume that all devices are using WPA3........only recent devices..........maybe. Setting to WPA2/WPA3 combo mode may not be the best also.

I set the WPA2/WPA3 combo mode in my recent purchases for the ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 router and LG GRAM 17 2020 laptop but the laptop always have difficulty in connecting to the WiFi. Now I just set WPA2 mode in my router and the problem has gone

Edit :- I'll wait for Windows 2004 firmware update which supports WiFi6 and WPA3. And I'll need to set the wireless properties in the WiFi ethernet card in Windows and router so as to get my WPA3 and WiFi6 properly set up

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.