CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Windows 10 version 1803 microcode update KB4100347

KB4100347 is a new update for the latest version of Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1803, which Microsoft released on April 30, 2018 to the public.

The feature update has its fair share of issues; users complain about incompatibilities with certain Solid State Drives, bluescreens, missing network devices, and other issues.

One of the things that I noticed right away after installing the April 2018 Update for Windows 10 on a test system was that it did not include the microcode update that protects it from Spectre attacks.

What made this particularly problematic was that Microsoft released microcode updates for previous versions of Windows 10. Systems went from a protected state to an unprotected one in worst case if users or administrators installed the microcode update on devices running previous versions of Windows 10 before running the upgrade to the latest version.

Tip: you can run the free software inSpectre to find out if a Windows PC is patched and whether microcode updates are available.

KB4100347
kb4100347-microcode-update-windows-10-1803.png

It took Microsoft two weeks to release the microcode update for Windows 10 version 1803 that protects devices against Spectre attacks. The company released KB4100347 on May 15, 2018. The update is available through Windows Update and the Microsoft Update Catalog website and compatible with Windows 10 version 1803 and Windows Server 2016 Version 1803 (Server Core)

Windows devices configured to download available updates automatically through Windows Update will get the microcode update automatically provided that a supported processor is installed on the machine.

You can check the list of supported processors on Microsoft's Support website. It includes Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Broadwell, SkyLake, Haswell, Ivy Bride, and Sandy Bridge processors. Microsoft plans to update the Windows update to support additional processors.

You may download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog website as well. It has a size of just 1 Megabyte and can be installed on machines running Windows 10 version 1803 or Windows 10 Server 2016.

Note that the installation will only succeed if a supported processor is installed on the machine the update is executed on.

Closing Words
The microcode updates for Windwos 10 version 1803 are finally available. The release removes one reason for staying on an earlier version of Windows 10. It is still too early to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1803 but users and admins who upgraded PCs to the new version may want to install it asap to protect the device against Spectre-based attacks. (via Deskmodder)

Source: Windows 10 version 1803 microcode update KB4100347 - gHacks Tech News

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks, I'll update later, has anyone noticed some performance problems (such as after Meltdown fix in my case) ?
All's fine here.
You can check beforehand with InSpectre.
If the tool reports Performance: GOOD there shouldn't be a noticeable effect on the performance of your computer.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
It depends on your hardware. Microsoft said older hardware from 4th gen CPU and below may experience 15% noticeable performance decrease.

Thanks, I'll update later, has anyone noticed some performance problems (such as after Meltdown fix in my case) ?

That's me i'm running on Windows 10 1709(SSD OS) and i5-4690k i did installed the updates like this a few weeks ago i posted Update - Windows 10 Microcode updates KB4090007, KB4091663, KB4091664 and KB4091666 i forgot to reply it to let them know about startup slow due to the updates i was busy idk, i was like why my PC so slow i checked everything like restore system, uninstall recent apps, etc i was like oh i think its windows updates i uninstalled it so its fast i dont care about vulnerability asf!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
That's me i'm running on Windows 10 1709(SSD OS) and i5-4690k i did installed the updates like this a few weeks ago i posted Update - Windows 10 Microcode updates KB4090007, KB4091663, KB4091664 and KB4091666 i forgot to reply it to let them know about startup slow due to the updates i was busy idk, i was like why my PC so slow i checked everything like restore system, uninstall recent apps, etc i was like oh i think its windows updates i uninstalled it so its fast i dont care about vulnerability asf!

I have an i7 4790k @ 4.5GHz and an ASUS crap Strix GTX 970, and I don't feel any major performance impact at all after Spectre patched on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.