Battle Windows 10 vs. Windows 7

N

Noxx

Thread author
This is a slightly different war room discussion, and it will involve the dispute over whether or not Windows 10 is a worthy successor to Windows 7. True enough we still have people here who use 8/8.1, but Windows 10 and Windows 7 are certainly still the most popular OS's on this forum. There are various means of which you can support your liking of one OS over the other -- whether it be security, privacy, game compatibility, speed, general integrated MS features, etc.

For me, the decision to upgrade 10 was an easy one. I was more than happy to upgrade from 7, but once I realized how hideous and clunky Windows 8 was (my opinion!), I went straight back to 7. Once Microsoft realized that it was highly unappealing to those who appreciated Windows 7's UI, I began to take great interest in 10's development. The first thing that I found appealing was, of course, the UI. It maintained the classic Microsoft desktop and start menu, but with a more modern twist. The folder system also remained basically the same, which is good. Cortana I feel like is a slight improvement to 7's search system, particularly it's internet capabilities. There was also significant improvements to Microsoft's integrated security options, namely Smartscreen and Windows Defender. However, WD feels a bit heavy for the still mid-tier protection it provides, and therefore, I'm not convinced that it warrants enough reason for users to avoid 3rd party software entirely.

Privacy is certainly a lot of (most?) people's primary grief with Windows 10. There's a great deal of concern that every application, every process, has some kind of backdoor that's spying on you. I do think that Microsoft did perhaps go a little overboard with the data collection/telemetry, however, it's not like this wasn't already being done on 7. Do I endorse such activities? To a degree, I think data collection is necessary for OS improvement purposes, but I question whether or not they need as much as they collect with 10 in comparison to 7. A slight con, but it's foolish to judge 10 on that alone.

Bloat software is another concern by many that's virtually non-existent in 7, but to be honest, I think that's more of a problem to do with the individual pre-built laptop and desktop computer manufacturers that add all that crap after the fact. However, there's still a lot of "apps" that come with Windows 10 native that I personally removed, and I don't think should come pre-installed. Speaking of apps, the Windows App store is a new feature that basically allows you to download "apps" onto your PC like an iPhone. It's of course hard wired into the OS, therefore disable/remove it at your own risk. A lot of people will never touch it, but it's there, and I only see it serving a positive purpose.

Internet Explorer vs. Edge. IE has been outdated for a very, very long time. It was riddled with vulnerabilities, later on it just generally ran slow, and it basically was just closet stuffing after Mozilla Firefox became popular. I am happy to say that Edge has proven to be an interesting piece of software. It runs much smoother, it will soon have extensions (though many question what restrictions there might be), and overall, it's made Microsoft pre-built browser actually worth using. However...again, it's hardwired into the OS, runs in the background even though you don't use it, and that's annoying. STILL, this is an improvement over Windows 7's IE, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for Edge.

New settings panel vs. classic control panel
- I actually don't mind Windows 10 "settings" app. It's got a clean interface, the settings themselves are well organized and it's easy to find things. However, I still find myself instinctively using control panel, so I'm not sure if in a future version of windows, control panel will be dumped. The new settings panel however is good enough that I wouldn't really mind.

A thousand times easier to refresh/clean slate your system in Windows 10. In Windows 7, if you wanted to redo your computer for whatever reason, it was a long and drawn out process, and a lot of people wouldn't have the patience or technical know-how to do it. Now, it's as simple as clicking a few buttons, and having the option to completely erase your system and return to default windows 10 settings, or keep your precious files and just refresh the system. This feature has proven to be a lifesaver for many, including me.

Game compatibility/game performance. As to be expected, there are concerns that people are losing compatibility with classic games that they could play on 7. I have personally had to deal with this issue, and it's frustrating at times. However, many said the same thing about 7 making it difficult to play games from xp, and from xp and so forth. As such, I don't really consider it a con, but I see why some might think so. In terms of game performance, I honestly haven't really noticed any significant gaming performance changes. But then again, that may be because I don't play a lot of games that are "optimized" for Windows 10.

Hardware compatibility - there hasn't been a single piece of hardware I've used in the last 10 years that hasn't been compatible with Windows 10. I even still use one of my old racing wheels from the early 2000's. Some might have the opposite result, but not on my end of the street.

There's a lot of other things I could go into, but for the sake of not boring people (I probably already have), that's it. Overall, I think Windows 10 has its problems, but it's a solid improvement over Windows 8, a good improvement over 7, and any problems that people do have with 10, can be rectified through doing a little bit of research. To sum it all up, I think Windows 10 does a fair job of bridging the gap between Windows 7 UI/functionality and the more modern look, more features, and greater security apparatus of 10.

On a final note, you have until July 29th, 2016 to upgrade to Windows 10 FREE OF CHARGE with any authentic Microsoft Windows 7/8/8.1 license key.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Windows 7 dont have builded so much spying features... they come with udpdates
Windows 10 have already on board spy features.

but dont worry faster or later good ppl which share faq how off this *#$@

But any way in my opinion w10 move/work a lot faster than w7 even with this full of crap staff inside.
You can use tool for disable/delete some hiden spying features & not only.

I offer go w10.. but if you need use some important soft, better check meaby they dont work yet on new system :S

H

hjlbx

Thread author
W10

On one system I had no choice = forced update - even after I hid the KBs repeatedly and refused the upgrade !

On another system I performed the upgrade myself.

Taken as a whole, W10 is better than 8.1. Start Menu, improvements in functionality, security and performance.

However, I could do without the forced Windows Updates... and what I see as all the crapware that comes with W10 (all the Windows Apps).

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I do not mind if you use Windows 7. Most computers that you can buy will come with Widows 10. I believe it is more secure and can be customized more than 7. I personally don't think there is "spying" its just paranoia spreaded from fourm to fourm. If any Windows 7 has just as much. I highlu upgraded and people that don't may feel like they should have before the upgrade ended. As for forced upgrades I find it somewhat of a good thing. You can get the patch before the exploit of a the update before gets to your compter.

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I voted Windows 10..I was never fortunate enough to have experienced Windows 7.My experience with Windows Has been XP,Vista,8.1,and 10.
I am glad that I have windows 10 but am equally glad that I removed the "Bloatware" and constant Telemetry from it, because my old machine was Hot,Slow,and Noisy before I did so:)

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Absolutely Windows 7 for me. Both on Personal Laptop and Business Laptop. The reason is that I had problems with Windows 10, it is spying (yes it does) and it does not ask for your approval to download updates. There is so much bloat going on too. Sometimes tons of bugs, such as start button won't work, the color of the UI can change after restarts, it is more dependant on internet connection etc.

Yes, Windows 10 is much more faster but I don't care about waiting another 10secs or more. I just need an OS that works whenever it is required. I have a full-time job, got emails to be viewed, some video conferences over Skype, some companies to be contacted with and some customers that actually waiting for my response. I don't want to be nagged with system bugs or errors while working and got stuff to do.

Windows 10 is just a total beta and it can mess everything up or be fine with each update. And I say a huge NO to this situation.

P.S : Yes, I truly believe Windows 10 is spying. Because in this life, there is actually nothing that is Free. (If it is free, you are the product to be sold, itself.)

P.S-2: No, I don't want to stop telemetry or use any other software to stop Windows 10's spying. Why should I have to bear with an OS that continuously tries to send information and why should I shut up this very system, while there is another solution?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm using W10 for my laptop (8gb, i7) and I feel very happy. zero problem, no bugs, no 100% disk activity, perfectly fast
My friend's laptop (4gb ram, i5) is using w10 but I tried to tweak everything but I can never get the smoothness of the previous w7.
W10 uses more disk activity than w7 even with pagefile/virtual memory and prefetcher, superfetch disabled -> not happy, it slows down the system so much and degrades the HDD/SSD faster. There is 100% disk usage bug which I partly solved by tons of tweaks but disk activity is still peaking sometimes

conclusion:
>= 6gb or 8gb ram -> W10 with pagefile disabled
=< 4gb ram -> w7 or w7 lite for low-end PCs

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Windows 10 is the Future, will soon be used by most as one hour will end support for Win 7. So my vote goes to Windows 10, one hours users will have to use, because not do it!
A long time I have not used the Win 7! My system was Windows 8.1
I think the performance of Windows 10 best, boot time, start menu, pleased me a lot!
I do not care for that privacy, I'm no criminal, then I have nothing to hide! I take with me the following : If you are connected to the Internet you already have no privacy! :rolleyes:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If this was say 2013 or before I would proudly say Windows 7, Vista was a nightmare for gamers like myself so when 7 hit the scene it was gobbled up by gamers,
it was their salvation so to speak. Now 10 is here and the impact "for the most part" is positive, it is comparable "for gamers" to 7 by way of resource usage and stability.
Now enters Win 10, and with MS killing off 7 it's a no-brainer "for me" moving to Win10. I refuse to address the "privacy issues" as there are plenty of tools and tweaks that render windows 10 more private than win 7 ever was. Stall warts will use the privacy issue and others to validate not updating, which is fine, but like many here have stated they will be back in 20 something days crying that they are mad at MS because they took their free upgrade away, pfff. I hope the Mod's nuke those posts :p As for the built-in "spy features", they are free now, it's just that later you will pay MS to "spy on you" hows that for irony.
Anyway, Its a security issue now I think, I could use Win 7 now and be just as happy, but the security issues from here on out are only going to get more and more shaky.
I voted windows 10 for all the common sense reasons surrounding this issue, but ultimately the call is with what the user is comfortable with and nothing more, jmho.
PeAcE

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've enjoyed reading every post on this thread,:):) ...and I voted 10.;)

Prior to upgrading from 8.1, Windows 10 loomed as an uncertain breath of air I did not trust enough to breathe, until fellow members and staff whom I trust praised it for "..being what 8.1 was intended to be.." (exterminator20). Our Acer lap top has an i-5 cpu, 1.80 GHz, with 6 GB RAM. I was used to the performance of 8.1, it was acceptable, and like many before me, chalked up any lack in performance (after 3 years) to simply needing a computer with better, faster, & more functional hardware. I was mistaken.:confused: :rolleyes:With the clean install, all the bloatware and unnecessary Acer programs I'd never used seemed to... No. The bloatware actually really did dissapear.o_O Hooray!:p:D In it's place was a three year old lap top that now worked better than it had even when it was :eek:new! Disabling telemetry and unused or unneeded services is (to coin a phrase) a working project I don't mind; and I've had no problems possibly because I was among the last to board this train that's a lot more refined than I'd let myself believe.

As for our (my wife's) Sony Vaio Windows lap top with Windows 7 SP 1, it was a similar more stretched out tale with a similar happy ending.:) Just as my friend @frogboy, relates from on high,:rolleyes: when it works well "there's no looking back", except (perhaps) when looking back is going to remind ourselves what it used to be like, and how what we have now can still get even better!:cool:

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Absolutely Windows 7 for me. Both on Personal Laptop and Business Laptop. The reason is that I had problems with Windows 10, it is spying (yes it does) and it does not ask for your approval to download updates. There is so much bloat going on too. Sometimes tons of bugs, such as start button won't work, the color of the UI can change after restarts, it is more dependant on internet connection etc.

Yes, Windows 10 is much more faster but I don't care about waiting another 10secs or more. I just need an OS that works whenever it is required. I have a full-time job, got emails to be viewed, some video conferences over Skype, some companies to be contacted with and some customers that actually waiting for my response. I don't want to be nagged with system bugs or errors while working and got stuff to do.

Windows 10 is just a total beta and it can mess everything up or be fine with each update. And I say a huge NO to this situation.

P.S : Yes, I truly believe Windows 10 is spying. Because in this life, there is actually nothing that is Free. (If it is free, you are the product to be sold, itself.)

P.S-2: No, I don't want to stop telemetry or use any other software to stop Windows 10's spying. Why should I have to bear with an OS that continuously tries to send information and why should I shut up this very system, while there is another solution?
I agree with every single word that you said,mate 100% :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.