Battle Windows 10 vs. Windows 7

N

Noxx

Thread author
This is a slightly different war room discussion, and it will involve the dispute over whether or not Windows 10 is a worthy successor to Windows 7. True enough we still have people here who use 8/8.1, but Windows 10 and Windows 7 are certainly still the most popular OS's on this forum. There are various means of which you can support your liking of one OS over the other -- whether it be security, privacy, game compatibility, speed, general integrated MS features, etc.

For me, the decision to upgrade 10 was an easy one. I was more than happy to upgrade from 7, but once I realized how hideous and clunky Windows 8 was (my opinion!), I went straight back to 7. Once Microsoft realized that it was highly unappealing to those who appreciated Windows 7's UI, I began to take great interest in 10's development. The first thing that I found appealing was, of course, the UI. It maintained the classic Microsoft desktop and start menu, but with a more modern twist. The folder system also remained basically the same, which is good. Cortana I feel like is a slight improvement to 7's search system, particularly it's internet capabilities. There was also significant improvements to Microsoft's integrated security options, namely Smartscreen and Windows Defender. However, WD feels a bit heavy for the still mid-tier protection it provides, and therefore, I'm not convinced that it warrants enough reason for users to avoid 3rd party software entirely.

Privacy is certainly a lot of (most?) people's primary grief with Windows 10. There's a great deal of concern that every application, every process, has some kind of backdoor that's spying on you. I do think that Microsoft did perhaps go a little overboard with the data collection/telemetry, however, it's not like this wasn't already being done on 7. Do I endorse such activities? To a degree, I think data collection is necessary for OS improvement purposes, but I question whether or not they need as much as they collect with 10 in comparison to 7. A slight con, but it's foolish to judge 10 on that alone.

Bloat software is another concern by many that's virtually non-existent in 7, but to be honest, I think that's more of a problem to do with the individual pre-built laptop and desktop computer manufacturers that add all that crap after the fact. However, there's still a lot of "apps" that come with Windows 10 native that I personally removed, and I don't think should come pre-installed. Speaking of apps, the Windows App store is a new feature that basically allows you to download "apps" onto your PC like an iPhone. It's of course hard wired into the OS, therefore disable/remove it at your own risk. A lot of people will never touch it, but it's there, and I only see it serving a positive purpose.

Internet Explorer vs. Edge. IE has been outdated for a very, very long time. It was riddled with vulnerabilities, later on it just generally ran slow, and it basically was just closet stuffing after Mozilla Firefox became popular. I am happy to say that Edge has proven to be an interesting piece of software. It runs much smoother, it will soon have extensions (though many question what restrictions there might be), and overall, it's made Microsoft pre-built browser actually worth using. However...again, it's hardwired into the OS, runs in the background even though you don't use it, and that's annoying. STILL, this is an improvement over Windows 7's IE, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for Edge.

New settings panel vs. classic control panel
- I actually don't mind Windows 10 "settings" app. It's got a clean interface, the settings themselves are well organized and it's easy to find things. However, I still find myself instinctively using control panel, so I'm not sure if in a future version of windows, control panel will be dumped. The new settings panel however is good enough that I wouldn't really mind.

A thousand times easier to refresh/clean slate your system in Windows 10. In Windows 7, if you wanted to redo your computer for whatever reason, it was a long and drawn out process, and a lot of people wouldn't have the patience or technical know-how to do it. Now, it's as simple as clicking a few buttons, and having the option to completely erase your system and return to default windows 10 settings, or keep your precious files and just refresh the system. This feature has proven to be a lifesaver for many, including me.

Game compatibility/game performance. As to be expected, there are concerns that people are losing compatibility with classic games that they could play on 7. I have personally had to deal with this issue, and it's frustrating at times. However, many said the same thing about 7 making it difficult to play games from xp, and from xp and so forth. As such, I don't really consider it a con, but I see why some might think so. In terms of game performance, I honestly haven't really noticed any significant gaming performance changes. But then again, that may be because I don't play a lot of games that are "optimized" for Windows 10.

Hardware compatibility - there hasn't been a single piece of hardware I've used in the last 10 years that hasn't been compatible with Windows 10. I even still use one of my old racing wheels from the early 2000's. Some might have the opposite result, but not on my end of the street.

There's a lot of other things I could go into, but for the sake of not boring people (I probably already have), that's it. Overall, I think Windows 10 has its problems, but it's a solid improvement over Windows 8, a good improvement over 7, and any problems that people do have with 10, can be rectified through doing a little bit of research. To sum it all up, I think Windows 10 does a fair job of bridging the gap between Windows 7 UI/functionality and the more modern look, more features, and greater security apparatus of 10.

On a final note, you have until July 29th, 2016 to upgrade to Windows 10 FREE OF CHARGE with any authentic Microsoft Windows 7/8/8.1 license key.

Last edited by a moderator:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
In my humble opinion,Windows 10.

Windows 7 has proven it's reliability many times(Rarely I have seen a BSOD...Both in my personal devices and corporate equipment.)....It astounds me how stable and trustworthy it feels.

And Windows 10 is made with the same care:Been using since last year....on a toaster of PC(HP dc7800 Ultra Slim-Aged 8 years) without a hitch.Works amazing and I've using as my go-to in a lot of tests(Compatibility installations and such)....No BSOD as of yet.

In my case,I've created 2 image snapshots:One with W7 and one with W10. If I see my laptop getting sluggish because of the upgrade,I instantly roll back(We had a case last week-A new general manager is very "BYOD" and brought her W7(Home edition,mind you) laptop to the office.She wanted the Windows 10 update ASAP and we told her that there could be some compatibility issues.She didn't care....o_O)

After many months of slowdown and some unresponsiveness,we convinced her to rollback to W7. There are some cases that hardware may not be ready to handle the new OS.

Many people have approached me about the update and I tell them this:If you have more than 4GB and it runs W7 smoothly,there's a good chance Win10 will run just fine.Don't miss out...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Let's isolate the privacy issues made by Microsoft between Windows 7 and 10 since that will go nowhere in the comparison honestly.

Performance

I saw the big difference when it comes to Windows 10, and that because of introducing Fast Boot concept where it shut downs but not totally since it saves the session and retrieve back immediately without going to traditional loading.

No matter if you use HDD or SDD but Windows 10 improve a lot compare to Windows 7.

Reliability and Stability

Windows 7 prove a lot to be well stable compare to Windows 10. I've experience from the first place when my Laptop (WIndows 10) suffered some rare BSOD but fixed through cumulative updates.

The problem for Windows 10 is forced patch updates that some of them are botched, which result to major issues on some computers.
Unlike to Windows 7 that you can delay by not installing it automatically/download.

Security

Windows 10 as more security techniques implemented compare to Windows 7 and very important for any business enterprise to look upon on these changes.

Overall

Windows 10 is a roller coaster OS that went to multiple problems but the intention to bring flawlessly and reliability prove a lot.

Windows 10 as a service will provide 10 years of maintenance so you can brace to new adaptive interface.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I'm still using on two of my laptops W7. The OS ist still supportet: MS still offers security patches so for me there is no reson to use W10.
i'm using both laptops only for average/"home" tasks (multimedia/office/internet) threfore W10 has no advantages....
I'll continue using W7 (and W8.1) until i guess 2020 (and 2024 for W8.1): then MS will stop offerring security updates...

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I voted for Windows 10.
Other than the data collection (which can be disabled for the most part), Windows 10 is awesome.
The style is really nice and sleek, which works well with the speed increase (at least for me) and better boot time.
Windows Defender is a lot better than Windows 7, which is good for people who don't know much about security.
When I went to Windows 10, I never looked back.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'm still using on two of my laptops W7. The OS ist still supportet: MS still offers security patches so for me there is no reson to use W10.
i'm using both laptops only for average/"home" tasks (multimedia/office/internet) threfore W10 has no advantages....
I'll continue using W7 (and W8.1) until i guess 2020 (and 2024 for W8.1): then MS will stop offerring security updates...
@LASER_oneXM, I respect your reasoning particularly concerning your two laptops you are happy keeping with Windows 7. Windows 7 was the favorite in our home,:) and upgrading to 10 was a notion I would have easily wagered my wife would reject:oops: for all the reasons many others have too! So, therefore we'd focused instead upon whether 10 could be an improvement over 8.1, and were fully prepared to roll back,:rolleyes: but the facts which made the difference where it's noticeable improvements (all around) which proved to be :eek:immense eye openers,o_O and in the most positive ways.:cool: I would urge you to try 10 to compare with your 8.1 because you can always go back if you don't like it. This is what I did, & I'm sincerely confident you'll like it too!;):D
By the way, now my wife actually likes 10, and she brought along all her Windows 7 desktop themes which appears to still be windows 7 up until you <click> on the start button!:)

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If users are to mention option without any actual reason (pro/con) please simply use vote. Such posts have been deleted. Also please try to refrain from going offtopic, since this is a good thread and will open up some eyes in terms of readers. Also, please refrain from going the "privacy" bandwagon way. Lets keep it clean and allow everyone to benefit from this thread.
Thanks

Note: added another option to poll:
I use a combination of...

Reason being I use 3 separate types of OS on different setups:
Gaming w10 because of its vast improvement over W7/W8.1 and better Hardware compatibility (for newer hardware)

W8.1 on mid range system because it works just fine, no need to upgrade as of yet. Such system is only used for casual browsing etc.

Linux: Several systems and Dual/Triple Boot (Hobbie; stability (depending on what Distribution base you go for), however on newer hardware, this means recompiling Kernel, therefore you need to know to do such things.

Between laptop power consumption, Windows in general is more mature than Linux (within different Linux Distributions, this will also vary).

Not all Distributions have basic features fully operational out of the box like Fn Keys, Media keys etc.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I vote for Windows 10.
Jumped From Windows Seven Pro to Windows 10 Pro (didn't like Windows 8 - "intrusive" Metro UI ), after testing the beta / RC versions.
With Tablet mode disabled and customized Start panel it's easy to forget Windows Seven.
=> fast boot, very good hardware compatibility, better Windows Defender (even if I don't use it :p ), better update methods (even if some makes problems with certain persons / PC)
=> About privacy : a lot of "spying things" can be disabled.

Last edited:

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Win7. All software works, drivers are rock stable and don't risk breaking, no auto updates, easier to disable spyware, no extra work to disable things, Aero looks like 10 years ahead compared to the flatopia of postWin8. I can boot in about 21 seconds in Win7, that's plenty fast for me. I don't care about security, as first thing that a decent malware writer does, is make sure he can infect windows and has plenty of opportunity to test his theory at the cosyness of his own house.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.