Windows 10 will begin reserving 7GB or more for updates

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Lol what are you all talking about? Limited space? Really?

Now most modern system has SSD of 128gb minimum, which should only host the OS, and an HDD of 1tb which should contains your datas.
How can you lack of space...
All my systems are around 30gb with full MS Office 2016 installed, unless you install tons of games at same time (which you shouldn't) or tons of heavy apps, lack of space is very improbable.

After every cumulative updates, one must clean his system to free around 1-2gb of junk files (mostly the CU backup files on the Software Distribution folder ) .

7gb reserved by MS isn't big deal if it can avoid crashes and data loss for some. A 1080 full HD movie is around 5-8gb.
Those like me who regularly maintain their system and do clean install won't probably need it, and i hope we can disable this feature.
I have 2 SSDs(One for Linux and another W10) and a HDD and set it up like Umbra said. In addition to that, I have old 250GB desktop HDD and Expansion HDD of 2TB for on-site backups.
I don't why everyone is so scared about Reserved storage and other crap because it can be disabled. For every action there is equal and opposite reaction to nullify it. Clone it to your desktop or separate HDD/SSD/NVme/NAS/SAS drives. Use chef koch's tweaks repo CHEF-KOCH/regtweaks
@TairikuOkami I think you're already acquainted with Chef Koch's updated stuffs through MDL.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I will wait for RTM 1903 to test it out. It is already enough, I have to deal with MS nonsense twice a year, I do not have time to spare. :giggle:
I'm sticking with v1803 until 2021 since I have a bad vibe that newer version will be crappier than v1809. I clean install every 3 years or so by aligning with Linux LTS versions. I might buy Enterprise LTSB/LTSC key to get 10 yr security updates for peace of mind.

Hollow

Level 3
Verified
Dec 29, 2018
I'm sticking with v1803 until 2021 since I have a bad vibe that newer version will be crappier than v1809. I clean install every 3 years or so by aligning with Linux LTS versions. I might buy Enterprise LTSB/LTSC key to get 10 yr security updates for peace of mind.
Your idea is amazing I’m also considering it

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Your idea is amazing I’m also considering it
Started with v1703. Was testing v1709 via insiders and gave couple of feedbacks to MSFT via Feedback app and there were none so I started skipping upgrades to keep my PCs safe from upgrades. I even created custom ISO w/o any Advertised UWP apps and other crap as well. Its a godsend feture to save disk space and CPU cycles and lastly encourage Going Green initiative to save electricity and SSD write cycles to revert from bad upgrades/updates.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Do NOT buy from ebay LTSB/Ent keys. They are keys pulled from unknown and refurbished PC's which are not a legit method.

Enterprise / Enterprise LTSC is Free* as long you understand how it works.

Basically, you install 90 day evaluation trial, and you are left with 2 rearms, wich in total gives you 270* days of free Enterprise/Enterprise LTSC. Then you can reinstall Windows Ent/LTSC and you start from the begining with 90 days and 2 rearms. Windows re-installations are unlimited and it does NOT remember your HW ID.

Microsoft Evaluation Center

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Maybe this will useful

Thanks, the ability to have a more streamlined OS plus control and postpone MS' silly updates is very tempting to me. Although I realise should I do so I'll probably be breaking licensing conditions in one way or the other. Are you aware of incompatibilities with any system level backup software for e.g. Macrium Reflect (compatibility with MR is a make or break for me) whilst using the LTSC version?

Reactions: Vasudev and Cast

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Good idea! I thought these were sold direct to Corporate customers. Any idea where I can get this from?
I looked at ebay but seller rating and not seeing trusted or verified seller had my doubts. There are valid or authorized seller for Pro or home but none for enterprise unless your company purchases VLK license which are bought in bulk and expensive.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I looked at ebay but seller rating and not seeing trusted or verified seller had my doubts. There are valid or authorized seller for Pro or home but none for enterprise unless your company purchases VLK license which are bought in bulk and expensive.

Yes, that's the problem. Windows 10 Ent. LTSB is not meant for home users. I may be able to get away with buying a cheap "valid" license on eBay which will activate Windows 10 Ent. but breaks licensing conditions. And then there may be compatibility issues with system-level software utilities like MR Home. This merits further thought.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Yes, that's the problem. Windows 10 Ent. LTSB is not meant for home users. I may be able to get away with buying a cheap "valid" license on eBay which will activate Windows 10 Ent. but breaks licensing conditions. And then there may be compatibility issues with system-level software utilities like MR Home. This merits further thought.
Truth be told, all Win 10 share the same thing and more you pay the better things you get. Another way to force users into buying expensive license.
I never install anything and always make use of HBCD PE or Sergei Strelec to work outside of Win environment.
Good riddance.
You meant W10?

Reactions: R2D2
D

Deleted member 178

No, I meant users of Windows 10 who complain about every aspect of the OS. What did they expect, the perfect OS?
There are those who are Q&A like me whose job is testing their application to check incompatibilities and get really annoyed by MS perpetually changing the OS. Those complaints are legitimate.

And the noob whiners who think they know when they don't, unable to handle their OS. Those, i get a good laugh.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
No, I meant users of Windows 10 who complain about every aspect of the OS. What did they expect, the perfect OS?
There are those who are Q&A like me whose job is testing their application to check incompatibilities and get really annoyed by MS perpetually changing the OS. Those complaints are legitimate.

And the noob whiners who think they know when they don't, unable to handle their OS. Those, i get a good laugh.
It should be atleast 75% perfect considering its been 3 years in the making and still it creates more problems than solve.
I had great hopes that we won't need to update Win 10 by clean installing every year when they made updates to ship every 6 months. They add new features and features are removed in a blink of an eye!
What if some day MSFT employee(s) ask users to ditch Keyboard and mouse to interact w/ their experimental assistant(which is to be discontinued in the future for Google/Alexa/Siri) called Cortana v2.0? Well, I will not! That'll last day of Win 10 on my PC and I'm just waiting for a reason to ditch Windows.
I agree with Umbra if some apps were working just fine on older W10,W8 or W7 and latest update makes the app FUBAR then its really bad!

Reactions: R2D2
L

Local Host

It should be atleast 75% perfect considering its been 3 years in the making and still it creates more problems than solve.
I had great hopes that we won't need to update Win 10 by clean installing every year when they made updates to ship every 6 months. They add new features and features are removed in a blink of an eye!
What if some day MSFT employee(s) ask users to ditch Keyboard and mouse to interact w/ their experimental assistant(which is to be discontinued in the future for Google/Alexa/Siri) called Cortana v2.0? Well, I will not! That'll last day of Win 10 on my PC and I'm just waiting for a reason to ditch Windows.
I agree with Umbra if some apps were working just fine on older W10,W8 or W7 and latest update makes the app FUBAR then its really bad!
Nothing is removed in a blink of an eye, developers have +6 months to test and update their Software. And a 1 to 2y heads up in feature changes as well.

Microsoft is doing well to remove outdated and unoptimized APIs.

Is not Microsoft fault the industry is lazy and refuses to envolve, they sure learned their lesson with Windows XP, those who can't stick with times get left behind.

Reactions: R2D2 and oldschool

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Nothing is removed in a blink of an eye, developers have +6 months to test and update their Software. And a 1 to 2y heads up in feature changes as well.

Microsoft is doing well to remove outdated and unoptimized APIs.

Is not Microsoft fault the industry is lazy and refuses to envolve, they sure learned their lesson with Windows XP, those who can't stick with times get left behind.
APIs are just APIs it depends on developers how they use it for their applications.
Industry isn't lazy since you've millions of PCs with low end to high end which runs the same app on it w/o any issues and suddenly re-targetting the app to run on newer Win 10 fails to run on latest W10 but it works on older Win 10 builds which are 7-8 months old. So, when you implement a feature specific to latest version and doing that may break everything on all PCs.
6months is a small time-frame and there isn't any Long term stable Win 10 build for consumers like Linux LTS versions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.