Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Using a usb to install Windows 11
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Hello all!

So I said in a thread in desktop show-off that I was going to upgrade to Windows 11 tomorrow (friday my time zone) and I plan on it, but when I look in windows update, it says my PC can run windows 11 but the upgrade is not offered yet. So after some digging i found that i can skip the wait for it to be rolled out to my machine and just install it using a USB drive and my windows 10 key (the article said past key's will work with windows 11) so I installed a windows 11 ISO to a USB stick using Rufus. when it was finished installing on the USB it gave a notice that Secure Boot had to be disabled to boot using this Drive....but I thought Secure Boot had to be enabled to be able to install....am I wrong on this?

Is it worth Installing windows 11 using this method or would it be better to wait for my Machine to receive the upgrade option through windows update? Im a bit impatient, I dont want to wait however long it could take (the article said mid 2022 was the deadline for all machines to be offered the upgrade) yeah thats a bit too long a wait for me.

Thanks! :)

I don't know if I picked the wrong sub forum to post this in. if I am wrong, please move it to the correct sub forum.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014

Windows 11 Installation Assistant​

This is the best option for installing Windows 11 on the device you’re currently using.
Click Download Now to get started.

Download Windows 11
I have that downloaded and I will take a look through it tomorrow deeper, the first screen said "accept and install" which im not ready to do yet so I did not go further with it than the first screen

Upvote 0

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I have that downloaded and I will take a look through it tomorrow deeper, the first screen said "accept and install" which im not ready to do yet so I did not go further with it than the first screen
That's what I saw and selected when I ran it on my Windows 10 installation, and it installed the Windows 11 upgrade while keeping all of my programs, settings, and data files along with an option to revert to Windows 10 which is supposed to remain in place for 10 days. It's been running flawlessly since and I'm very pleased with the upgrade process on my Dell XPS 8930 after I made the required changes to GPT OS drive and BIOS settings for UEFI, Secure Boot and TPM2.0.

Upvote 0

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Hello guys,

So, I started the windows 11 install assistant thismorning, everythign went fine until the installation hit about 90% then my PC blue screened with the error code KERNAL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION

it gave me a QR code as well as some links to follow but it didnt stay long enough for me to really commit it to memory.

Anyone else seen this issue or have any idea as to the cause?

As of right now my PC rebooted fine into windows 10, no issues there. but I'm wondering if I should try the install again.

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Hello guys,

So, I started the windows 11 install assistant thismorning, everythign went fine until the installation hit about 90% then my PC blue screened with the error code KERNAL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION

it gave me a QR code as well as some links to follow but it didnt stay long enough for me to really commit it to memory.

Anyone else seen this issue or have any idea as to the cause?

As of right now my PC rebooted fine into windows 10, no issues there. but I'm wondering if I should try the install again.
This is strange indeed. One would think that the install assistant would check the systems hardware and software compatibility before
its begins the update process.

Have you got any CPU, RAM or GPU OC in place? Best set everything to stock including XMP profiles.

I found this article online it may be useful.

Upvote 0

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
This is strange indeed. One would think that the install assistant would check the systems hardware and software compatibility before
its begins the update process.

Have you got any CPU, RAM or GPU OC in place? Best set everything to stock including XMP profiles.

I found this article online it may be useful.
I know basically absolutely nothing of hardware so that just flew way over my head lol to help me here you will have to guide me as if im a child.

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I know basically absolutely nothing of hardware so that just flew way over my head lol to help me here you will have to guide me as if im a child.
Its best to wait for the upgrade to come through windows update in this case. There maybe an issue with your hardware or some software
you have installed that could be causing an issue with the update windows 11.

I would advise to stay with windows 10 for a little while longer and wait for the update to become available. If anything goes wrong then it
will recover back to your previous version of windows. Forcing the update can leave you with a non working PC.

In the mean time make sure your GPU and other hardware drivers and up to date.

Upvote 0

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Its best to wait for the upgrade to come through windows update in this case. There maybe an issue with your hardware or some software
you have installed that could be causing an issue with the update windows 11.

I would advise to stay with windows 10 for a little while longer and wait for the update to become available. If anything goes wrong then it
will recover back to your previous version of windows. Forcing the update can leave you with a non working PC.

In the mean time make sure your GPU and other hardware drivers and up to date.
I think your advice is the best for now, because I tried updating all my drivers (they were all up to date) so I'm not sure if that was the issue

I ran a sfc/ scannow it detected some corruptions and cleaned them up

so I tried again, this time it blue screened at 83% with a security check failure

so I believe I will wait for it to be pushed through windows update then give it another shot.

Upvote 0

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I think your advice is the best for now, because I tried updating all my drivers (they were all up to date) so I'm not sure if that was the issue

I ran a sfc/ scannow it detected some corruptions and cleaned them up

so I tried again, this time it blue screened at 83% with a security check failure

so I believe I will wait for it to be pushed through windows update then give it another shot.
Things you can experiment to see if you can get windows 11 on your PC...
1. Create an image backup of your existing windows 10.
2. Create a bootable disk of windows 10 or a system repair disk and keep it aside. If something goes wrong you can restore your saved windows 10 image by booting from windows 10 bootable drive. ( The reason i want you to make a windows 10 bootable disk is that at times windows reacts strangely and may refuse to restore an image if you try to do that from different version of bootable os)
3. Make sure you are using an outlook account in your current windows 10 OS and your windows 10 is activated using " a digital license linked with your account" .
4. Create a bootable windows 11 drive using Rufus as shown in the below given image and then do a completely fresh install of the OS. ( the reason for your blue screen error may be because of an incompatible driver or software with windows 11, so it would be better to do a fresh install than wasting time to find what went wrong)
5. When windows ask for a key select the option " i don't have a product key" and continue with the installation and login using your linked outlook account, thus your windows 11 will be activated automatically.
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.