Advice Request Windows 11: What processes necessarily need connection or access to the network?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Decopi

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
By default, my Firewall is set to block all connections or access to the network. Specific programs and apps have specific rules that create exceptions.

For example, in the case of Windows 11, "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe" has access to the network (in order to allow Windows Updates). The same with "svchost.exe", necessary for connections to the network.
But after 1 month, I see that there are almost 50 different Microsoft processes trying to connect to the network.

Please my question: Specifically for the Windows 11 OS (excluding apps, Windows Defender and Programs), what are the Microsoft processes (names, no IPs) that necessarily need connection or network access? For example, all Windows Update processes (including drivers, office etc) I want them with access to the network.

Thank you very much

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
By default, my Firewall is set to block all connections or access to the network. Specific programs and apps have specific rules that create exceptions.

For example, in the case of Windows 11, "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe" has access to the network (in order to allow Windows Updates). The same with "svchost.exe", necessary for connections to the network.
But after 1 month, I see that there are almost 50 different Microsoft processes trying to connect to the network.

Please my question: Specifically for the Windows 11 OS (excluding apps, Windows Defender and Programs), what are the Microsoft processes (names, no IPs) that necessarily need connection or network access? For example, all Windows Update processes (including drivers, office etc) I want them with access to the network.

Thank you very much
If you start controlling windows processes from accessing web, you are going to break something like windows updates sooner or later. So let it be the way as it is today.

Reactions: RoboMan

Decopi

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If you start controlling... windows processes from accessing web, you are going to break something like windows updates sooner or later. So let it be the way as it is today.

With all due respect, each user has a different profile, in my case for the past 3 months I blocked all network connections (except updates + svchost), and nothing, absolutely nothing happened. Every day I carefully monitored and looked after problems, conflicts, errors, you name it... nothing happened. And I'm here asking for help, precisisely because in my 3 months test nothing happened (and I want to know if I'm missing something).

Last edited:
Reactions: miguelang611

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
you seem to have answered yourself there, if everything works when youve blocked it, then you dont need it, leave it as is

Decopi

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
you seem to have answered yourself there, if everything works when youve blocked it, then you dont need it, leave it as is

True.
But asking help never hurts.
I still want to hear if an expert user has something to say about blocked Windows processes.
Even wrong answers are going to help me by confirming that my test is good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.