Guide | How To Windows 7 Get a power efficiency report

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
Have a laptop and want to get more battery life out of it? Windows 7 includes a hidden built-in tool that will examine your laptop's energy use and make recommendations on how to improve it.

To use it:

1. Run a command prompt as an administrator. To do this, type cmd in the search box, and when the cmd icon appears, right-click it and choose "Run as administrator."

2. At the command line, type in the following:
Code:
[u]powercfg -energy -output \Folder\Energy_Report.html[/u]

where \Folder represents the folder where you want the report to be placed.

3. For about a minute, Windows 7 will examine the behavior of your laptop. It will then analyze it and create a report in HTML format in the folder you specified. Double-click the file, and you'll get a report -- follow its recommendations for ways to improve power performance.

win7tips_power_770.jpg

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
RE: Windows 7 Get a power efficiency report [laptop]

Interesting and a good tip. However you need to make sure that all saving features are on and that battery is on save energy What kind of cpu do you have? if you have an amd cpu you can reduce the cpu use to 25% through CCC/Fusion engine or how it's called.

You can also config how much it should take in general. I could make video about it. I can't say if it works however.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
Well i personally have amd phenom II x4 965 Desktop and have a spare dell that i use now and then, for when im in bed lazy :)

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Most new intel laptop processors come with a new feature that automatically overclocks the cpu when it reaches a 100% usage. In many cases you can gain more battery time, by turning this feature off by power capping the cpu in Windows power management. This works for both AMD and Intel.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
iPanik said:
Most new intel laptop processors come with a new feature that automatically overclocks the cpu when it reaches a 100% usage. In many cases you can gain more battery time, by turning this feature off by power capping the cpu in Windows power management. This works for both AMD and Intel.

Where exactly is this? I don't see it.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
My system is in Danish so my translation will most certainly be inaccurate.
Go to the power plans > press "change settings for plan" for your current plan > press "change advanced power settings".
There should be a processor option in the list.

my settings:
cpu%20settings.PNG

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
iPanik said:
My system is in Danish so my translation will most certainly be inaccurate.
Go to the power plans > press "change settings for plan" for your current plan > press "change advanced power settings".
There should be a processor option in the list.

my settings:
cpu%20settings.PNG

As I thought :)

Geni: you should have it as low as possible when it in battery unless you play on it; you save energy and heat.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
you could use the power saver mode in the power options. All new intel chips have speedstep that will underclock your processor when full processor speed isn't needed and will overclock your base clock when needed. Speedstep can be found in your bios and if you have any tools like cpuid cpu-z you can watch it fluctuate.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
the power saver profile still allows the cpu to enable TurboBoost (?). I use power capping mainly because if my cpu overclocks even slightly, the fan goes into jet engine mode, and the battery really doesn't like that.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
If your running dual core chip you could disable the second core.

Open the start menu, click on Run,type in msconfig and click on OK
In the System Configuration window click on the start sub menu and the on Advanced Options button.
616-disa-s-.png

In the second window that appear, you should be provide with an option for enabling and disabling the number of processors you want to use.
Validate your entry by clicking on OK.
Restart your PC and it should be fine.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
16 Errors | 11 Warnings | 18 Informational :huh:

I mainly run on High Performance. In a dark room, I switch to Balanced. Both are tweaked in different ways.

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
pcjunklist said:
If your running dual core chip you could disable the second core.
[...]

If I'm right that setting is only for boot time and not after that? Just because it's set to 1 core by default, and obviously the OS is using both cores.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.