Advice Request Windows 7 Key Monitoring

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanoas

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2014
I'm going to building my own gaming PC on Wednesday, but didn't purchase a copy of Windows luckily a guy offered his old retail Windows 7 key that hasn't been used yet for free. I'm wondering is there any way he could monitor me or do anything else that would be harmful towards my system when I activate the key on my system?

PS: I have serious paranoia.

Xanoas

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2014
No, if you use an original W7 ISO and only use the key, not some sort of activator. ;)
No I'm going to get the Windows 7 ISO from the official Microsoft site as they are giving anyone with a legit key a copy of the original ISO. The key is also supposed to be legit as the guy has shown me proof, but we'll see that when I get the ISO copy.

Original Windows 7 ISO.

So am I just being paranoid or can it be done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A license key simply activates your copy of Windows 7, whether the key is genuine or not I do not know. As @Daario has rightly said, only install Windows 7 from Microsoft's website.

Avoid pirated or modified versions of the OS, including a warez (cracks, activators, patchers) etc.

D

Deleted member 2913

If you like Win 10 then you can use the key on Win 10 too directly i.e install Win 10 & activate with the key.

I have installed Win 10 directly & activated with Win 7 key.

Reactions: Xanoas and Ink
L

LabZero

The main problem is the illegal and preactivated ISO that you can download from warez/cracks sites.
These ISO are customized by the crackers and with beautiful graphics themes but they often contain backdoors or other malware that allows remote access to your system. No one gives anything for nothing.
In your specific case I do not see any problem.

Reactions: Xanoas
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.